Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, recently i have been suffering from bad constipation, and

Hi, recently i have been suffering from bad constipation, and bloating. I have had an under active thyroid for about 13 years now, which I have been taking thyroxine for the whole time, and that is stable as I get it checked regularly. However I have been having bad constipation and when I go to the toilet it bleeds a lot, and there is sometimes a little blood in the toilet too. I went to the doctor yesterday and he gave me laxido, which I had one sachet last night, and it seems to have made it even worse! As when i went to the toilet today, there was not only blood but i pulled two long thin light brown string things out too! please help!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. How old are you and have you ever had a colonoscopy? Any pain with your bowel movements?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am 23 years old, and no I haven't had a colonoscopy. It is sometimes a little painful, but only on rare occasions.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK and we can continue after this if you'd like. Most likely the bleeding is from hemorrhoids and those can be treated with witch hazel and a cortisone cream but with my patients I perform a flexible sigmoidoscopy to look for possible colon polyps which can also bleed. As for the constipation, you may have irritable bowel syndrome and a newer medication like Linzess is very effective for that. You also need a stool softener like Colace to help with this. The light brown string things sound like mucus which is often seen with irritable bowel syndrome
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

okay, thank you so much. I just have a few more questions if that is okay. Can the haemorrhoids be treated with a cream called anusol? Are polyps anything serious to be worried about? and where can I get Linzess from? Okay I was really worried because i only just started taking the Laxido and the brown string things came just after taking that, i thought it may have just been undigested fibre coming out.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--Anusol does contain cortisone so it's fine. Polyps are usually benign but they do need to be removed. Linzess is a prescription medication and if this continues you can ask your doctor for that or for a gastroenterology referral. No, that's just mucus and nothing to worry about. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thankyou so much for that. So how would I go about seeing if it was polyps or not? As i don't think it is that as the bleeding only happens when I am constipated, at other times it doesn't bleed at all. Thankyou so much for your help and I shall rate now, thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That would take the scoping by a gastroenterologist and while I think this is just a hemorrhoid problem, as I said, I get that procedure on all my patients with blood in their stool just to be on the safe side. Take care and let me know how it goes
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.