Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have been on omeprazole for over two weeks for acid reflux

I have been on omeprazole for over two weeks for acid reflux but I feel quite tired. Is it one of the side effect of this medication and will it get better or should I see my doctor and perhaps get a different medication?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. One of the things omeprazole can do is lower magnesium levels and that indeed make one feel tired. That of course is assuming that your feeling tired is truly from the omeprazole. As for a different medication similar to omeprazole, Zantac doesn't tend to do the same thing with magnesium levels and neither does Tagamet or Pepcid. Your doctor definitely needs to know about this