Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi i am a 25 year old slim female. I suffer from stage 4 endometriosis.

Customer Question

Hi i am a 25 year old slim female. I suffer from stage 4 endometriosis. The reason i am contacting you is because over the past 2-3 months i have started to develop some new symptoms which are concerning me, I don't feel they are lined to my endometriosis and am worried as to why i am feeling the way i am. to give you a bit of background info, i have suffered from diarrhoea every morning since 2008 but up until recently i would just have it when i first wake up in the morning then would be fine and get on with my day as usual but about 2 -3 months ago my stomach started to get worse. It has become very unpredictable where i am not only having diarrhoea in the morning but often have it after meals. I am even waking about once a week during the night having to rush to the bathroom. Alongside this i am having acid reflux at least 4 days a week which makes me feel sick. Im having upper back ache also which is new to me. I have also lost around 1 stone in weight in the last year or so. These symptoms can sometimes leave me feeling very drained. Could you tell me what may be the cause of these symptoms? I eat a normal/healthy diet also and i don't smoke or drink. Thankyou
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Let me give you my thoughts and then we can continue if you'd like. First off, I agree with you none of this is connected with your endometriosis. My first thought is you may have an H pylori infection of your stomach and considering the back pain you may also have a duodenal ulcer which is often associated with the H pylori. It's also possible that you have irritable bowel syndrome either in addition to the other things or by itself. It's also possible that you could be anemic, perhaps from bleeding gastritis or a bleeding ulcer. I would not only screen you for the anemia and the H pylori but I would also get both upper and lower endoscopies to fully evaluate the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the response. How do get tested for H pylori? Would any of these things show up in a blood test?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Either with a breath test or a stool sample is the best way to test for H pylori although there is a blood test for it. Anemia can be easily tested with a blood hemoglobin test. IBS has no specific test--it's basically a diagnosis of exclusion, made when all the other possible causes of the symptoms are ruled out. A peptic ulcer really can only be diagnosed with upper endoscopy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay thanks for the info. I will speak to my GP about these things. I forgot to mention that i sometimes suffer with pain around the belly button if thats relevant?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hard to comment about the belly button pain, Samantha, although that could be IBS. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for you help!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Samantha--any time