Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

My friends son is in intensive care (since Sunday 14/09/14)

Customer Question

My friends son is in intensive care (since Sunday 14/09/14) and is currently ventilated. The hospital have advised that they are planning to undertake brain stem tests tomorrow at 11am with a view to discontinuing his ventilation. My friend feels this is too soon and wants to know what her rights are in requesting that the ventilator is not turned off at this point.
She has also been advised that her son has had two drugs discontinued this morning which are morphine and midazolam which he had received intravenously and she is wondering whether these would be out of his system by now.
Many Thanks
Louise
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--sorry your question wasn't responded to for so long but may I ask how old is her son and what brought him to intensive care Louise?