Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Hello, I have been experiencing some chest pains in recent

I have been experiencing some chest pains in recent days. It is like a pulse of pain lasting one second which feels like it is located about six horizontal inches across the point where the rib cage ends and the abdomen begins. It recurs about every half hour but then I can go several hours without any recurrence. I am a long term smoker, aged 51, in the throes of yet another cessation attempt and am a bit worried.
Regards,
Jim
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Is the pain on the left or the right side?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond.

Customer:

It is in the centre

Dr Uzair :

Okay, is this a dul aching pain or a sharp stabbing pain?

Customer:

It is more sharp

Dr Uzair :

Do you have any other symptoms like shortness of breath, sweating on the forehead, anxiety specially during the episode of pain?

Customer:

No I do not

Dr Uzair :

Is the pain associated with a particular activity like going up the stairs or eating?

Customer:

No it is independent of any activity

Dr Uzair :

Alright, does the pain increase when you inhale or exhale deeply?

Customer:

It just lasts a second so I can really say

Dr Uzair :

Is there any tenderness over the painful area, as in when you press on it, does it hurt?

Customer:

No it does not

Dr Uzair :

Okay, lastly, do you have any previously diagnosed medical conditions or are you on any medication?

Customer:

No

Dr Uzair :

Okay, thanks for the details. A new onset chest pain in a male above 40 years of age warrants an EKG to rule out cardiac conditions, while most of the symptoms of an acute coronary event can be ruled out on your history, but your age and smoking habit emphasizes the need for an EKG as soon as possible to rule out angina.

Customer:

Ok thank you

Dr Uzair :

Unfortunately, Angina can present with very atypical symptoms and it is difficult to say on history alone whether it is angina or not. An EKG is a very simple test and that is why it has been made a protocol to get this done in any person experiencing new onset chest pain over 40 years of age.

Dr Uzair :

It has been a pleasure.

Dr Uzair :

Do you have more queries?

Customer:

Likewise

Customer:

No more queries - thank you

Dr Uzair :

Please leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Feel better soon and best wishes.

Customer:

Ok bye

Dr Uzair :

Bye.