Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Greetings from Ireland. I am aware of the benefits of L-arginine

Greetings from Ireland. I am aware of the benefits of L-arginine and NO and really want to use this supplement. However, I have just been through a heart attack (Had to get stint inserted into coronary artery) and I read somewhere that people who have taken a heart attack, should not take NO. Is this true
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it is true that there is a concern that there could be an increased risk for complications if L-arginine/NO is taken by someone with a recent heart attack. It would be better to allow for complete healing after the heart attack, and when you doctor says that you are completely recovered, then you should also ask whether it would be OK to take the supplement at that time.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.