DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have all the symptoms of Mitochondrial Failure. All my muscles

Customer Question

I have all the symptoms of Mitochondrial Failure. All my muscles aches , my heart misses beats and pressure falls to 60/35 on standing so have to sit again. Am always tired and breathless. Would an Autonomic Neurologist be the best specialist to see of who ?
Peter Clayson
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
This is not likely mitochondrial failure.
It is more likely something such as polymyalgia rheumatica.
It can even be a heart problem.
What type of doctor do you have currently?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have a Cardiologist in London , Dr Swanton has ruled out heart problem

I have a haematologist at St Helier.who did a bone marrow test and diagnosed Myelodysplasia (refractory Cytopenia with Multilinear Dysplasia but this seems to be only a symptom of Mitochondrial Failure. It ticks all the boxes.

my need is to get my standing blood pressure higher. Lying down it is ok at 120/70

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
This is not mitochondria failure, and your mylodysplasia can in fact explain your symptoms.
In addition the blood pressure falling on standing indicates the possibility of autonomic dysfunction.
Have you had a tilt table test...?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, What is a tilt table test ?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
This is a test using a table and sophisticated computer equipment to see if you have autonomic dysfunction, which is likely given your symptoms.
The autonomic nervous system is not keeping your blood pressure up.
The cardiologist can, and should, arrange for this test.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As I understand it my Myeloplasia is when I am producing body cells ok but they are not maturing. , but exactly why they are not maturing is not explained. Dr Myhill in her Paper available on Google suggests that this is caused by the slow production of ATP, the energy source for all cells,and that it is called Chronic Fatigue Syndrom or Mitochondrial Failure. It would be nice to think I dont have this but could you please let me know why you think it does not apply to me.

Also I have looked up the `Tilt Table Test`. I already know that my blood pressure falls from 120/70 at 75bpm to an excessive 60/35 at 116 bpm when I stand , Does the TTT give any other info that might suggest a specific way to cure it ?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Yes
It distinguishis between orthostasis, dysautonomal, seizure, etc.

Please find me on a new post by request for new questions.