Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

causes of pins and needles in both hands at night only

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Since how long you have this? Do you have a diagnosed medical problem? Any medications you are on? Anything you have tried so far? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As this is for a friend, the best info I have is he is on no medication. his lifestyle is active (plays tennis in a club) he is tall and slim, has had the

condition for a few months but it has got worse. a recent fall down his

stairs gave severe hip bruising but he had the P/N before this event. I am trying suggest a visit to a G P without causing undue alarm . the condition now extends into the day. He has aches and pains which he

considers normal. regards.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about his problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Pins and needles in body means nerve irritation or compression. In his case the possible cause can be carpal tunnel syndrome. It is a condition in which the compression of the nerves in the wrist causes these pins and needles in the hands and this problem become more worse as a normal person can get a slight compression while sleeping but in someone with carpal tunnel syndrome the symptoms become worse. Don't worry I will address your question in two aspects; what he can do himself and what his doctor can do for him. As far as what he can do himself is concerned in such situations he should start using over the counter available tab Aleve twice daily. It will relieve the compression and is considered the initial step of management in such cases. Moreover he should take any over the counter multivitamin which contain vitamin B12 as it is good for nerves. He should visit his GP and should see a neurologist if suggested by GP. I wish him good luck and that he gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards