Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a irritable cough severe weight loss in past two weeks

I have a irritable cough severe weight loss in past two weeks and sore throat am lethargic and weak ache no energy headaches and temperature
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
How much weight have you lost over the 2 weeks?
What is the highest temperature over the last couple days?
Is the highest temperature for each day tending to improve, worsen, or stay the same?
Is the cough bringing up any mucus?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have lost just under 2 stone 38.5 is the highest and lowest 37.2 sometimes yes

Thank you for the additional information.

There are a couple of considerations in this situation, but the bot***** *****ne is that it would be better for you to be seen, although the full explanation is more lengthy.

In someone with a productive cough associated with fever, lethargy, and weakness that has persisted for a couple weeks, there is concern that there is a bacterial infection that is present. A viral infection can cause a bronchitis that can cause such symptoms, but it would be unusual for it to persist for a couple weeks without some improvement in symptoms. A small percentage of viruses can last a couple weeks, but there is usually some amount of spontaneous improvement by a couple weeks. If you had asked a similar question earlier in the course of the illness, it would be reasonable to say that it might be a virus and the symptoms may improve spontaneously, but it also would be appropriate to be seen if symptoms were to persist for 7-10 days. In your case, though, the symptoms have already persisted for that period of time. If it is a bacterial infection, then antibiotics would be appropriate.

There is also significant concern when there is this amount of weight loss over two weeks, as this is usually a sign of dehydration. Dehydration can occur with most infections, and when the dehydration is more severe, it will usually need some IV fluids, and that would be true even if dehydration is occurring due to a viral infection.

So, it would be appropriate for you to be seen, both because of concern about a possible bacterial infection that would need antibiotics and concern about dehydration that may need specific treatment.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.