Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

Dear Doctor, I am enquiring because with my first pregnancy

Dear Doctor,
I am enquiring because with my first pregnancy after 29hours of labor I had two uterine ruptures with an emergency c-section. others have never had an uterine rupture with first pregnancy. I told my ob it would be a csection ad all my family have had sections, however i was’nt listened to. My gp very annoyed as i have two uterine ruptures running parallel and into each other. They don’t know whether I can have any more children. Both my son and I nearly did’nt make it. Just wondered what are my chances of having other children.
kindest Regards,
Vita
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 2 years ago.
Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

So just to clarify, you're asking what your chances are for having a pregnancy to term in the future?

Customer:

Hello Doctor, yes

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

As long as the ruptures were properly closed (sutured shut) then there should be no reason you can't safely carry a pregnancy to term, however it would be a necessity to have the delivery scheduled ahead of the due date just a bit to avoid going into labor for risk of rupture again.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

And by scheduled I mean a scheduled C-section.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Women can have a vaginal delivery after prior cesarean section, however in a case such as yours it would be more appropriate to not even attempt a vaginal delivery and opt for a cesarean section.

Customer:

Yes I’ve been told it has to be a c-section if i have another baby

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

The scar on your uterus can cause improper implantation of the placenta so that would have to be evaluated for on ultrasound but it is not to say you can not successfuly carry a pregnancy

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Yes most definitely for your sake and the baby's it would need to be a c-section

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

depending on the scar you may have more trouble becoming pregnant if the fertilized egg can not implant properly, but it is not a definite.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Just make certain that you follow proper care and have all your ultrasounds done.

Customer:

Thats fine doctor

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Did I answer your question?

Customer:

yes thankyou

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Best wishes to you and your family then!