Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi Around 2 weeks ago I for 3 or 4 days I couldn't stop

Around 2 weeks ago I for 3 or 4 days I couldn't stop sneezing and having to blow my nose. I wasn't sure if this was a cold (though I felt relatively well otherwise) or an allergy. After those few days my sneezing subsided but I've had a 'barking' cough ever since, and I discharge what I can only describe as very thick and white saiiva. It's not green or yellow coloured as it would be with normal mucus. I also feel quite sick at times, though this may be just a reaction to coughing a lot. I've not actually been physically sick and I've not lost my appetite.
I've already taken a course of antibiotics and at the moment I'm half way through a different one, called Doxycycline. But at the moment my symptoms remain and it doesn't seem to be easing up at all, and in fact today is as bad as it's been for a good few days. Other than the cough and the sick feeling, and sometimes a strange and not so pleasant taste in my mouth after coughing, I have felt fine, I don't or haven't had a temperature and both times I've been to the doctors I've had my blood pressure taken. Any further advice on what it could possibly be would be very much appreciated.
Kind Regards,
Colin
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Can I first ask what diagnosis your doctor had for this? What was the other antibiotic you took?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi :)

Both times I have been to the doctors they weren't sure, but they did take my blood pressure and listened to my chest. The first course of antibiotics I took was Amoxcillin, and the course lasted a week. I have a few days left of the current antibiotics that I'm taking one a day. Today is the worst I've felt since my cough started approximately 12 days ago, which is why I'm looking for some more information here :)

Thank you, Colin

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Colin. I think you probably have a sinus infection with a postnasal drip and that's the part that causing the taste and the saliva problem, and as far as I'm concerned you haven't been given the most likely effective antibiotics for that, which would be either Septra or Levaquin. I would get a ct of your sinuses and prescribe one of those antibiotics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I have had trouble with my sinuses in the past as I often get pain in what feels behind and at the top of my eyes, which leads to a lot of headaches, and for years have often had to fetch rubbish up from my chest. When I go back to my doctor do I suggest about perhaps going for the ct scan, or am I best to let him suggest it if he comes to the same conclusion as you? Thanks so much :)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I'd just say that you think it's a sinus problem that might need more investigation Colin. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you