DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have had a sore breast so went for a screening mammogram

I have had a sore breast so went for a screening mammogram last week. I have to wait for the results. Clinical examination of both breasts was normal. I have been researching breast cancer on the net and I am petrified now as I have a prominent blue vein which forks around the areola on the one side (not the sore side) and I see this can be a sign of cancer. I had a mammogram 18 months ago which was clear and have no other of the usual signs of cancer. Do blue veins always suggest cancer if post menopausal?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No
In fact, many women have blue veins in the breast and in fact this is quite common and does not mean cancer.
It has to do with how your size, breasts, and circulation are.
With a normal clinical exam, I would not be freaking out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I am quite sore after the breast examination is this normal? I am so fixated on my breasts now - waiting for the mammography result could the stress be making them sore?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
They can be sore after mammogram as a lot of pressure is put on them, yes your stress will make it worse.
I do understand that the whole notion and process is disturbing.
Thanks for requesting me.
I think you will be fine.
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.