Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have a friend who has had one kidney removed 7 years ago,

I have a friend who has had one kidney removed 7 years ago, she has now been diagnosed with cancer of the other kidney and been given 2 options -:
Removal and then dialysis
Removal of the tumour with the risk of a spread from operating tools
As this is such a major decision I think she should have a second opinion from a specialist in this field (her dilemma is that she does not want upset her doctor)
Is there a list of kidney specialists available for the UK
***** *****
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
Has he been referred to a urologist as yet or no?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes she has been referred to a urologist, has also been given an MRI scan and been given the 2 options.

She is in good health otherwise and is 55 years old.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
I have consulted a urologist who is a friend of mine and was coincidentally online right now and said that the best option for her would be removal of her kidney and then dialysis.
The reason that he gave was that after removal of the entire tumor was it possible to have a better prognosis.
Removal of the tumor only would not be a suitable option because of the very high risk of spread of tumor and the prognosis would be much worse.
She should go ahead and discuss both options in detail with her urologist and then carefully take a decision.
Let me know if you have more questions
Rate me when you are done.