DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Have there been any changes in prescribing 30/500 co-codamol

Have there been any changes in prescribing 30/500 co-codamol everfessent as my sister has been told he can not supply them as it's not allowed anymore, she doesn't want to go onto liquid morphine but can't swallow ordinary tablets. How do I find out the truth of the statement she is very distressed
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure what part of the truth of the statement you are questioning.
"not allowed" by whom?
was this a nurse or doctor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
By health authority
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
That would be who you ask if the statement is true.
The only other option is to have legal cancer check the accuracy of this, but that involves reviewing the medical chart.
"not allowed" might mean not indicated by the diagnosis.
She should first talk to her GP as to exactly why this is "not allowed".
The medicine is not banned, but is restricted in its use.
See this page
http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/medicineoverview.aspx?condition=pain&medicine=codeine/paracetamol&preparation=Co-codamol%2030mg/500mg%20tablets
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
as I thought I explained he is stopping the everfessent ones, says he can no longer prescribe everfessent as it has been stooped, which means as she can't swallow tablets she has to go onto liquid morphine. Which she has tried to avoid. We wanted to find out if that was correct?
So we are still not sure of the truth or what to do next for her.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
That is quite possible.
Effevesant compounds that are opioids are often restricted.
I see no problem switching to liquid morphine.
Codeine and morphine are similar. Morphine is stronger but thus can be used at a lower dose.
The NHS authority has not updated its web information and still shows these tablets as available.
http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/medicineoverview.aspx?condition=pain&medicine=codeine/paracetamol&preparation=Co-codamol%2030mg/500mg%20effervescent%20tablets
However, you can talk to the NHS directly by going here.
http://www.england.nhs.uk/contact-us/
OK, so that is an initial answer….