Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Since last Monday ive had a pain in the right side of my abdomen

Since last Monday ive had a pain in the right side of my abdomen (it feels like a stitch) and it is a little tender to touch. Sometimes it radiates down to my groin. There are no other symptoms, I am able to carry on with my day to day and eat as normal. Exercising temporarily eases / lets me forget the pain and upon waking up in the morning it usually takes a few minutes to feel it again. I have an appointment with my doctor on Thursday but meanwhile I am wondering if I should be worried?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. We can continue after this if you'd like. The first possibility would be a kidney stone since the pain radiates into your groin. It would be very unlikely for this to be appendicitis, having been present for a week and not having gotten worse. One other possibility would be diverticulitis--an inflammation of a small pouch in the colon--but that more commonly produces left lower abdominal pain. At this point I don't think it's an emergency but if I were your doctor I would start out with blood work, a urinalysis, and a ct scan of the abdomen to see exactly what the problem is. A muscle pull is possible, but that wouldn't normally radiate pain into your groin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you that is helpful and has calmed me down. Are there any signs I should look out for meanwhile that would require urgent attention?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure. Right now I would be worried if you started to get a high fever, increase in the pain, or nausea and/or vomiting. Those would indicate a more emergent situation. Please let me know how it goes and remember to rate my service to you