DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello, I have suffered with infrequent palpitations over the

I have suffered with infrequent palpitations over the last few years but in the last few days I have been having hard thumps and double beats approximately 1 every 10 seconds for long periods. I have been doing my own heart monitoring waveforms and it is clear my heart is beating irregular on some recordings, skipping beats, then double beating and has been consistently corresponding with the feelings in my chest. I am not feeling un-well, not felt dizzy, sick or faint and have been running 4 miles every other day for the past few weeks, which is not unusual to my lifestyle. During the exercise my pulse rises and the palpitations stop but shortly come back after stopping. My average resting pulse rate is 48 bpm and my heart only ever gets to 120 - 150 bpm during exercise. I am 30 years old, 5ft 11, 16 stone, healthy and have played sports the majority of my life. Advice on whether I should seek further medical advice would be appreciated. They are effecting my sleep and I am starting to get concerned.
Stu
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes you need further medical advice.
You can not have an accurate picture yourself.
You need a 24 to 48 hour holter monitor, as placed and then read by a cardciologist.
Most likely these are PVCs and they are benign.
However, more serious possibilities even though unlikely, need to be excluded by a doctor.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's good to hear these are probably benign . What are PVC's?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Premature ventricular contractions...often feel like skipped beats or double beats.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
thanks

I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I have taken care of patients in all walks of medicine for over 20 years. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.