Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have developed over the last three months a chesty wheeze,

Customer Question

I have developed over the last three months a chesty wheeze, on expelling air from my lungs and never on breathing in, I am 45, 5"6 and a size 20, on citalopram 20mg daily and propanol hydrochroride 160 mg for both anxiety, raised BP and migraine, no family history of lung cancer or lung problems but this wheeze can wake me up and coughing can make it subside a bit? Any answers or help would be a great help, thank you
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

please enter chat

This sounds like possible asthma Laura
propranolol can trigger it
how long have you been on this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been on the propanol for 12 months now, I don't suffer from shortness of breath but just this wheeze happens when I breathe out and not when I inhale, is that a common factor for the medication and not being an asmathic I am not familiar with the common systems that you suggest my medication is causing. Is what I am experiencing normal?
No this is not normal
But in someone who has mild asthma or even asthma that you have no clue you have, this medicine can induce it
that is why I suggest getting breathing tests and getting off the med to see what happens
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As I am typing my breathing remains wheezing outward and doesn't change, what breathing test should I be expecting from my GP. I understand that the propanol could also be causing this so could it be a case of staying on the meds to keep the other issues under control or look for an alternative med for the BP and a lower dose of the propanol?
I would get PFTs or pulmonary function tests
I would look for an alternative like toprol
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know that my peak flow would be below normal levels by far, I am ex nursing auxiliary so I do understand. I am just wanting reassurance that it's not likely to be something nasty.
I don't think it is
worst case is asthma I believe
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So in your opinion swapping meds might resolve this asthmatic problem that I have now? I don't smoke, you didn't ask but I don't and I hate this quite loud wheeze that's like snoring to some
yes, I believe that Laura
Sorry for not asking.
I suppose I assumed.
Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What would be the recommended alternative drug to propanol hydrochloride 160mg daily in your opinion, keeping my horribly high BP of 200-180 over 120-110?
I would go with carvedilol 12.5 mg twice a day
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is that a familiar drug or a USA drug that I need to inform my gp to research. Thank you so much for your help and informed advice I will rate you. What are the benefits of the drug you suggest and the down side as I taking citaloopram 20mg daily
Your GP can give it to you
it is very common
you're welcome
The drug works good for BP and heart rate with few side effects
The citalopram will be fine with it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Finally will the asthma go away if I change medication or have I got this permanantly?
I think you have it permanently
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)