DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello Dr, I need your help I keep getting blocked hair follicles

Hello Dr, I need your help I keep getting blocked hair follicles in my pubic hair, I cannot find the blocked hair and the lump now grows and is quiet large, my GP just tells me to wash with a dettol soap but this is not working, when I get my period (I use towels and not tampax) the lump gets bigger as the towel rubs against the blockage. What can I do to really get rid of this. Before my period I can get it down to a size of a pea or even smaller but then it grows again once my period starts even though I cover the lump with cotton so that the towel does not rub against it. Can you please give me some advice. Thnaks
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I do not know what you mean by blocked hair follicles
are you talking about a sebaceous cyst?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I think so, its a hair that grows below the skin ?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
NO that is simply an ingrown hair.
Does it swell up like a little ball? The skin?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes and can get quiet big.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
That is a sebaceous cyst.
It had to be removed.
Any doctor that has done a lot of these can do it easily.
Ask your doctor to send you to someone who can remove it, or it will keep coming back.
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If this needs to be removed why is it that I can get puss out of it like a spot. My doctor has seen this now several times and just keeps telling me that this is an ingrowing hair. How can I go back to my doctor and tell him this information (I am asking for help) not telling him that he is wrong at his job.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
If it is an ingrowing hair. a small cut can be made in the skin to release it.
Retinoid medications are helpful.
If it is infected, antibiotics as well.
OK, so that is an initial answer….