Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

One of my relative is a diabetic patient and has been on dyalisis

One of my relative is a diabetic patient and has been on dyalisis for 5 yrs. Recently the skin on her toe opened up by itself and resulted in infection, she had to have the toe amputed. It has been few months and it is still not healed properly, furthermore, she is developing blisters in other parts of her feet. She had an angiogram like test done, sorry forgot the name- it showed she has problem with the arteries in her legs and the branching blood vessels as well, clogged with deposites and blood the flow of the blood is very poor, may be the reasons she is have lots of problems with her feet. Can this be revers, is there any tablets she can take to clean her arteries, and have normal blood flow, which will obviously, help the healing of her wound and other problems associated with her legs.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am really sorry to know about your relative who is suffering so much.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

She is in a very difficult situation

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Her circulation is poor which is causing poorly healing ulcers and blisters. All this is also complicated by the fact that she is on dialysis and has diabetes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The best thing to do at the moment would be to get a vascular surgeon opinion to see if circulation problem could be corrected by bypass surgery.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that would be the next best step

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I do not think that medications would help too much in her case as far as I am concerned.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you following me?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please use the reply button and text box to respond.

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Rate me positively for my services when you are done.
Kindest Regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
I would appreciate it if you rate me for my services before you leave.
This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
It is only when you rate me that I am compensated here on this site.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

can the drug cilostazol help this person

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Drugs like aspirin cilostazol can all help but unfortunately the problem is so severe that these medications may not be good enough.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

can you advise any other options apart from surgery

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Options without surgery include the following:

1. Medications to reduce cholesterol (statins)
2. Good control of diabetes with medications
3. Aspirin
4. Clopidogrel
5. Cilostazol
6. Interventional procedures like angioplasty