Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I had my drink spiked last wednesday evening and have a memory

I had my drink spiked last wednesday evening and have a memory of being injected with something in my right arm. When I woke I had what looked like needle marks but were very slight and no bruising. I am very concerned about HIV and other diseases and although the police are dealing with the matter I have been advised to go to a clinic to be tested. I am married and we were trying for another child. I am very scared and am reading that I cannot find out that I am clear from HIV etc until after 3 months. Is this true?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Amita :

Dr.Amita :

I am sorry to hear about all you have had to undergo

Dr.Amita :

Tests for HIV are available which can tell you earlier than 3 months about your HIV status

Customer:

I went to my local doctor before the police but no blood tests were done.

Customer:

Is it too early to test for HIV etc? I am going to a drop in clinic tomorrow.

Dr.Amita :

It is too early to test for HIV

Dr.Amita :

Commonly used 4th generation duos test can be done at 4 weeks and that is pretty accurate.If negative no repeat test is needed

Customer:

OK should I still go tomorrow to do other tests?

Dr.Amita :

Yes you should go to get assessed.Testing for other diseases will need to be done later.

Dr.Amita :

If you have been assessed already you may not need to visit a doctor tomorrow

Dr.Amita :

Even for HIV there are certain tests which can be done earlier but these tests are not easily available but you can certainly discuss the possibility of having these tests with your doctor

Customer:

OK I have had no blood tests done but they did swabs of my mouth and vagina just in case as I have no memory. Should I go for other tests tomorrow as my doctor only had a 10 minute slot with me and was a duty doctor that was very busy?

Dr.Amita :

You need to have a detailed discussion with your doctor therefore it would be better to visit your doctor.

Customer:

Ok I think I will go to the clinic tomorrow as if I book an appointment with my doctor I will only get a 10 minute one again.

Customer:

Thank you for your help

Dr.Amita :

Thanks and best of luck

Dr.Amita :

Hope that everything turns out to be good

Customer:

Thank you. I am pleased I can find out sooner