Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Last Thursday woke up with bad lower stomach pain, left side,

Last Thursday woke up with bad lower stomach pain, left side, feeling feverish, urges to go to toilet, no diarrhoea, no nausea, in fact difficulty defecating. Better during the day but temperature went up in pm and had a bad night. Since then much less stomach pain but a certain stomach discomfort and urges for toilet. Sweating a lot In bed last night and night before. Today is 5th day. Felt better in morning but again feverish in late pm.
Was in very good health, regular running, etc., till problem started -- but day before (last Wednesday) had very heavy meal plus chocolate and salted sunflower seeds. The latter have caused similar stomach problems before though never temperature and never that long. Would be grateful if you could give me advice?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.
Dr Basu :

Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr Basu :

Your symptoms are classical with diverticulitis attacks.

Dr Basu :

Diverticulitis is the inflammation of the colon lining pouches at the sigmoid colon since you had pain on left lower side.

Dr Basu :

Diet plays a vital role --seeds, nuts may not be well tolerated during an attack.

Dr Basu :

It seems your symptoms were due to the moderate diverticulitis since it is improving.

Dr Basu :

Udeally, we suggest antibiotic course with soft diet for a week.

Dr Basu :

This helps intestine to recover gradually.

Dr Basu :

Diagnosis can be confirmed by a colonoscopy.

Customer: Thanks. What do I need to do for the temperature?
Dr Basu :

I will suggest you to see your GP for the antibiotics course ( ciprofloxacin and Metronidazole)

Dr Basu :

also tylenol ( paracetamol) may help with the temperature but it is better to treat the infection with antibiotics.

Customer: GPs in England can be tricky when it comes to antibiotics.
Dr Basu :

ok --still these symptoms should not be neglected

Dr Basu :

Diet wise, try to stay on soft diet --only cooked vegetables, fruits, well cooked lean meat, rice, pasta, lentils.

Customer: Actually I did take some Augmentin I had for two days but have now run out.
Dr Basu :

avoid any seeds, nuts, cabbage or gas producing food.

Customer: I have only eaten rice and toast since.
Dr Basu :

augmentin is not ideal for diverticulitis but probably did help to some extent.

Customer: Only one left which I will take tonight. Wish I had more. As I said, I no longer have the severe irritation/pain I had on Day 1.
Dr Basu :

that is reassuring

Dr Basu :

you can wait and watch on the diet.

Dr Basu :

you can take a probiotic daily

Customer: Many thanks, ***** ***** been very reassuring. I did read up on diverticulitis and now you have confirmed it. Oh I am very careful what I eat not. It is only the temperature that bothers me. Why the night sweats?
Dr Basu :

that is due to the infection you have in the intestine.

Customer: And I also have some mild lower back pain -- since Saturday. Could it be connected?
Dr Basu :

once it subsides, your temperature will subside also

Dr Basu :

that is also connected

Dr Basu :

i will still suggest you to see your GP at some point if these symptoms come back again.

Customer: Well, many thanks. You have been very helpful.
Dr Basu :

Very welcome

Dr Basu :

Best wishes,

Customer: GPs are quite difficult this side of the Pond -- getting to see one, etc.
Customer: I hope I don't have to go and queue.
Customer: Best wishes. Thanks again.
Dr Basu :

ok I see

Dr Basu :

very welcome

Dr Basu :

get well soon

Customer: Thanks!
Dr Basu :

Pleasure