Dr. Leah
Dr. Leah, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  9 years of practice in Pediatrics
20280540

I am going to India in two weeks time and have been advised

Customer Question

I am going to India in two weeks time and have been advised to have a polio and a tetanus vaccination. It is also suggested that I should be vaccinated against typhoid. Are these vaccinations really necessary and are there likely to be any side effects. I am not going to take anti malarial tablets as I will not be near the coast or in the jungle. I am going for 11 days to Shimla up near the Himalayas and on the Golden Triangle.
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Natasha :

hello

Dr. Natasha :

I have been to India and I can tell you it is essential to get the vaccines

Dr. Natasha :

In addition, you do not want to get typhoid in india

Dr. Natasha :

The worst thing can do, is be sick in India- I am tell you this as a physician and as a traveller

Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 3 years ago.
I agree with Dr. Natasha's opinion about the typhoid vaccine. You should definitely get it. Typhoid can cause a diarrheal illness that would be very unpleasant during your vacation. It comes in an oral form, so it is easy to administer. I would also recommend a Hepatitis A vaccine if you have not already received it. Hepatitis A can be contracted from contaminated food and cause diarrhea and jaundice (yellow skin/eyes).
Hope this helps. Have a fun and safe trip!