Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have an enlarged Prostate, this condition is well controlled

I have an enlarged Prostate, this condition is well controlled by taking a Duodart capsule(Dutasterida & Tamsulosina) daily. Once a year I have an appointment with a consultant Urologist, prior to this appointment I have a blood test. The blood test results have always been positive and I am simply questioned as to my general health, particularly any problems with passing urine, and consequently I am given another yearly appointment.
While I am happy with this situation, this year my GP is recommending that I stop taking the medication 10 days prior to the blood test, to remove any possible impact it may be having on the test readings, particularly PSA. As my condition became known due to an incident where I developed a fever and an acute confusional state, I am concerned that if I follw the GP's advice I could experience the same emergency condition.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

I would typically not recommend stopping the drugs in this situation, for a couple reasons. The fact that you had such severe symptoms when first presenting with the problem certainly would cause concern about stopping the drugs. Even without this history, since all of the recent PSA values to which this lab will be compared were done without stopping the drugs, it makes sense that this lab also should be done without stopping the drugs.

I would also note that there also may be some consideration of how long the PSA screening will be done. There is no consistent recommendation for PSA, and one of the issues that is not in agreement is when to stop the screening, and some recommendations are that the screening should be done until age 75. The reason for stopping screening at age 75 is not that prostate cancer is less common after that age (it is actually more common), but because the evidence for the benefits of PSA screening is even weaker after age 75. The evidence for benefit for men before age 75 is somewhat controversial, which is why there are no consistent recommendations, but even that level of evidence does not exist after age 75. If your consultant is intending to stop screening at age 75, then you only have 2 years left in doing screening, and there is less reason for stopping the drugs for the final two years.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your advice, it confirms my own view(albeit non-professional) of this. I will however put he notion to the consultant when I see him next in December. As I actually live in Spain and my Spanish is not brilliant, this is rather difficult but, no doubt, I will get there.

You're welcome. I'm glad I could be of assistance.

If I can provide any additional assistance in the future, I can be reached by

www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.