Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

avout 5 weweks ago I developed a pain at the crown and extending

avout 5 weweks ago I developed a pain at the crown and extending down to the neck. afew days later a thick dark red weeping rash developed in the same area. I have been treated with antibiotics, 2 lots, amitriptyline,and others. The rash is now slowly declining, still weeping, but the pain is just as severe. Co-codamol has no effect. Can you advise. Diana.G
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Kaushik :

Greetings.

Dr. Kaushik :

Welcome to the site.

Dr. Kaushik :

Well, it seems like you are suffering from neuralgia that is pain along the path of a nerve which in your case has started owing to your crown pathology.

Dr. Kaushik :

So, for your severe pain you may ask your doctor to use a combination of Pregabalin at dose of 75-150 mg/ day) or Gabapentin ( NEURONTIN) at dose of 300 mg / day and an NSAID such as Ibuprofen.

Dr. Kaushik :

The former mentioned drug ( pregabalin or gabapentin) is well suited for relieving neuropathic pain similar to what you are experiencing while ibuprofen will act as an adjuvant/assisting drug to it.

Dr. Kaushik :

Kindly discuss this option with your doctor and try it.

Dr. Kaushik :

Hopefully this will mitigate your pain soon enough.

Dr. Kaushik :

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Dr. Kaushik :

I hope this helps.

Dr. Kaushik :