Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

if you have an allergic reaction to aspirin can you take piriton

Customer Question

if you have an allergic reaction to aspirin can you take piriton - URGENT ANSWER PLEASE
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, if you have an allergic reaction to aspirin, it would be OK to take Piriton. The active ingredient is an antihistamine and that would be OK to take if someone has an allergic reaction to aspirin.

If someone is having a more severe allergic reaction, such as causing shortness of breath, this would usually require greater treatment than an antihistamine alone. But for most allergic reactions, this would be fine.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again...

Many thanks for that.

The reaction lasted about an hour of feeling ugh; runny nose and slightly laboured breathing (but then they were rushing to catch a plane - hence the urgency of the question)

He was then OK. I think he metabolised the aspirin quickly and then all was well. Not sure if they took the Piriton, as their phone was off during the flight - will let you know. It's always good to get feedback to expand understanding of individual cases - I hope you agree.

Janet

Yes, thank you for the feedback.