Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi there I was feeling unwell from last Friday when I had

Customer Question

Hi there
I was feeling unwell from last Friday when I had flu like symptoms without a temperature. Muscle aches , severe fatigue . I went for a blood test on Tuesday but the blood has come back all fine! I was tested for full blood count, thyroid , diabetes and glandular fever.
I am now at a lose end as to how I can feel this unwell for 6 days but the blood is fine
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

It is actually very common for a person with a viral infection to have a normal blood count and other blood tests. In someone with sudden onset of muscle aches without another obvious cause, a generic viral infection would be the most common cause. An influenza infection is a specific type of viral infection that will more consistently cause muscle aches, but since the generic viral infections are so much more common, the generic viral infections will cause muscle aches more often.

Obviously, there are other conditions that can cause muscle aches, primarily a variety of musculoskeletal conditions, but we usually are not concerned about these other conditions unless the symptoms are persistent or there are worrisome findings on examination.

Did you doctor say whether there were any findings on examination?
Was any other diagnosis made?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The doctor said the only marker slightly raised was my ck which he said would be correct as my muscles aching. He felt it was influenza or something like that? Why would it not show up though? And why do I not have a temperature?
If he said that it was influenza or something like that, the something that he is referencing is the generic viral infections that I noted above. So, he is telling you a similar statement as above, although with different wording.

The reason that it would not show up is that it commonly does not show up, as I noted above. Blood tests are very good for many different conditions, but there are some conditions that cannot be diagnosed by blood tests, either because the blood tests never show the condition or the blood tests do not consistently show the condition.

You also do not have a fever because viral infections do not always cause a fever. There is no symptom that is always present with a viral infection, so that the absence of that symptom can be said to exclude the possibility that a viral infection is present.

However, when we look at what is the most common cause of muscle aches of short duration, the most common cause is a viral infection, as I noted above, and this is true even when the blood count is normal and there is no fever.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks doctor. My WBC count was at the low end of the scale! I would have expected it to be high if I was fighting something ?
No, not necessarily. There are actually some people with a viral infection in whom the white blood count is low, called leukopenia. The most common cause of new onset of leukopenia is an acute viral infection. A viral infection can have a white blood count that is normal, high, or low.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks. One last question how long do most viral infections last . I have been off work for 3 days and it a struggle to get out of bed.
Also we have a mould problem in the bedroom on the walls. Could this be the cause?
Most viral infections last a few days to a week or so, but about 10-15% of viral infections will last two weeks or more.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Just seen my local doctor and they told me if I had a virus It would definitely show in my blood? Very concerned now I have chronic fatigue syndrome
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You have already done a positive rating on this tread, but I have seen your relist.
We are only paid if we get positive ratings on our posts.
I am a double board certified clinical doctor.
Do you want to continue here and rate again or find me by request in medical?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was looking to re list as my doctor has contradicted what I was told
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Would you like to continue and rate again on this tread?
Or start a new thread with me by request?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On this thread please
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
The other expert is correct.
Most viral infections do not change the routine blood tests.
The only way you can rule out a virus is to test specifically for that virus, and this is not routinely done, as it is cost prohibitive.
So, in fact it can be a viral infection.
With your blood tests, the only virus that has been ruled out is mono.
You don't have mono if the test for glandular fever was done correctly.
However, any other virus, flu virus, or flu like virus, could cause this.
With all of your tests normal.
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok well my doctor told me otherwise which is frustrating and when she mentioned chronic fatigue disease I panicked. Not really fatigued just feel very unwell hot and a bit faint!
She said the white blood or lymphocytes would show something if I had a virus. Also I don't have a temperature or a sore throat!
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No that is not correct.
And chronic fatigue would never be a diagnosis with this short term, and without a lot of other symptoms.
Listen, we are only paid for positive ratings.
I am glad to continue to reassure you, but please click a positive rating...that is the only way we can do this service.
Then come back as needed.