Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am 5 weeks pregnant and have had to stop taking lustral and

I am 5 weeks pregnant and have had to stop taking lustral and amitriptyline. I'm struggling to sleep and its making me anxious. Would it be ok to take a very small dose of the amitriptyline at night (5mg) when really needed?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.\

Dr Uzair :

Amitriptyline has been labelled as Pregnancy category C by the FDA.

Dr Uzair :

Which means that it can only be taken during pregnancy when no other alternates are available.

Dr Uzair :

A category C drug also means that the drug is known to cause congenital anomalies in animal testing however data on humans is not available or is not sufficient enough to draw a conclusion.

Dr Uzair :

Having said that, you can always ask your Obs/Gyn or PCP for an alternative drug to Amitriptyline.

Dr Uzair :

You can enter chat to interact.

Dr Uzair :

Or if you are satisfied with the response and have no other queries, please leave a positive rating.

Customer:

Hi there. I don't want to any unnecessary risks, what would the alternative medications be?

Dr Uzair :

What are you using Amitriptyline for?

Dr Uzair :

Depression, IBS or some other indication?

Customer:

I was taking lustral for anxiety and the amitriptyline to help me sleep at night

Dr Uzair :

Pregnancy safe sedatives are Zolpidem.

Dr Uzair :

Diphenhydramine.

Customer:

Ok wonderful. So if I mention those to my G.P he should be able to prescribe them?

Dr Uzair :

Zolpidem is prescription only, so you will need your doctor's script for that, however, diphenhydramine is a first generation anti histamine which is also known as Benadryl.

Dr Uzair :

Yes, he can help you out.

Dr Uzair :

Do you have any more queries I can help you with?

Customer:

What a relief!!!! Thank you so much. No more questions from me. Best wishes, Erica

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.

Customer:

Will do!