Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

Hi, I am currently taking 40mg Fluoxetine daily for depression/anxiety. I

I am currently taking 40mg Fluoxetine daily for depression/anxiety.
I have just been prescribed Tramadol 50mg, one to two every 4 hours, for back pain.
I have read the enclosed leaflet and see that there is a potential interaction between these two medicines, and am a little concerned. I have also read some articles on the internet stating that there is a potential risk of seretonin syndrome and seizures when these two medicines are combined.
Could you possibly offer any advice? I have not yet taken any of the Tramadol.
Thanks,
Paul
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Amita :

Dear *****

Dr.Amita :

Welcome to justanswer

Dr.Amita :

What you have written is absolutely true

Dr.Amita :

There is a potential for interaction and serotonin syndrome is a possible consequence

Dr.Amita :

You need to discuss having another analgesic with the doctor who has prescribed tramadol for you

Dr.Amita :

Alternative analgesics belonging to class of drugs called non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs can be used as well as paracetamol can be used

Dr.Amita :

You may use paracetamol yourself in dose of 1-2 tablets of 500mg 3-4 times a day if you do not have any liver disorder and if you do not consume alcohol regularly

Customer:

ok, but don't NSAID's also interact with Fluoxetine?

Dr.Amita :

Yes they can interact with each other but the effect in increasing bleeding tendency is moderate and they can be used under supervision

Customer:

well, ok, I think I will just stick to Paracetamol until I can see my doctor again.

Customer: