Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi there I am needing some advice because doctors do not

Customer Question

Hi there
I am needing some advice because doctors do not know what is wrong with me and I am freaking out! My gp has suggested I may have cfd which has me even more worried. Here is my history
June this year had an inner ear trouble that still comes and goes and mAde me feel unwell for three days.
Since then I have been getting feelings of being hot at times but no temperature.
3 weeks ago I suddenly felt unwell for around a week. Flu like symptoms and felt weak.
Got better and almost back to normal for next 10 days. Able to go on weekend break with*****no problem.
Last Friday started to feel ill again flu symptoms and serious fatigue, hot feeling no fever a red throat with mucus but not sore.
Had blood done on monday and come back all ok except slightly elevated ck levels. Doctor said he expected that because I so fatigued. I had test for thyroid, diabetes and full blood count and also glandular fever!
I have also been snoring very heavily over last few months according to my partner.
Advice appreciated
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--just to be certain what do you mean by cfd? Second--have you had an autoimmune disorder panel? Finally, how exactly were you checked for glandular fever?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Chronic fatigue disease and I had full blood count ! Was checked by pap I think
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Richard--we've spoken before. Do you know what your TSH level was on the thyroid panel?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2.49. I am so scared about this chronic fatigue syndrome it is unreal
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand. Did your doctor check your cortisol levels?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
• Full haematology (blood count)
• Infection and inflammation markers
• Full cholesterol screen
• Liver function screen
• Kidney function screen
• Muscle damage markers
• Calcium screen
• Potassium level
• Sodium level
• Iron profile
• Glucose level
Was tested for this and the only thing that came back slightly high at 450 is the ck marker
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Richard. Of course this could just be a problem with a recurring flu syndrome but to check for chronic fatigue syndrome--which it really doesn't sound like you have--you need an EBV viral titer drawn. The other possibility would be low cortisol levels for which you weren't checked. I would also check you for low vitamin D levels
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok what makes you think it not cfs because I am panicking!
I was told there was no test?
Also could my snoring be significant as I don't seem to be sleeping the same.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Your symptoms just don't fit the diagnosis well and they come and go. And about the snoring--this could be a sleep apnea problem so I would have you undergo a sleep study. Sorry--I forgot about that part
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok that's a bit of a relief! Can you have flu without sore throat, runny nose and fever. I just feel exhausted and week with muscle aches
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes you can but a vitamin D deficiency or sleep apnea can cause the same symptoms
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok doc just one more question. I keep waking up in the night over last few days with stomach rumbling and feeling nauseous. My appetite isn't what it was either I am just eating for the sake of it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Part of that could be sleep apnea Richard but it sounds like you may have a touch of a viral gastroenteritis which is nothing serious and usually resolves within a few days. You can try some PeptoBismol for that
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I would like another opinion on chronic fatigue disease because my doctor has mentioned it! I am feeling even worse today with musle aches and shivering. But I don't have a fever
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
How long have you had chronic fatigue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had it for a week about a month ago then it got better and now it is worse
Then you do not have chronic fatigue syndrome, at least not according to the current definition of the syndrome.

The current criteria for the diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome requires that there must be chronic fatigue that has been present for at least 6 months and that there is no other apparent cause for the fatigue. The criteria also requires that there are several other symptoms present, at least 4 of 8 possible symptoms. But since the fatigue has not been present for that length of time, there is no need to consider these other symptoms.

You can review the criteria for the diagnosis at www.cdc.gov/cfs/case-definition/index.html.

Admittedly, many doctors will consider the diagnosis in someone with typical symptoms that have persisted for a while, though not yet 6 months. But it is very unusual for a doctor to make a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome when the fatigue has only been present for a week about a month ago and has now recurred over the past week.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So is it possible I have a virus that keeps returning? The only thing is that I do not have any cold, sore throat or temperature just muscle aches and feeling hot. Shivering a lot today though!! And my bloods were good in the week except for ck levels being 450
It is possible that you have a recurrence of the same virus, but it is also possible that it is two different viruses. An elevated CK can occur in a wide variety of conditions that affect the muscles, so does not indicate any single disease process.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can a virus cause ck levels to rise and wouldn't my blood show something if I had had virus so long ?
Yes. Even vigorous exercise can increase the CK level. Viral infections will frequently have completely normal blood tests, regardless of the duration of the viral infection.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok it's just people think I am faking it because there are no visible symptoms such as runny nose or sore throat and my glands are fine! I have been told at work if I was ill my glands would be up and I would have a temperature. At the moment I feel on another planet
This is why you shouldn't listen to people at work. There is no symptom that is always present with a viral infection.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One more question! Is there anything I can do to speed my recovery rate as I am getting married in two weeks! It has been a week since symptoms started and I am at my worst today
There is no treatment that accelerates recovery from a viral infection. The usual recommendation is to get plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluids.

If symptoms are still present next week, then it would be reasonable to be rechecked by your doctor again to be certain that there is no evidence for any other condition present.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry made mistake on clicking need to re evaluate
No problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just one more question if that is ok. Today I have woken up full of the cold and with a sore throat is this a sign of the virus and is it good sign it is progressing ?
Yes, this is a sign of the virus. From a doctor's perspective, it is neither good or bad, as the virus can progress by many different courses and no course is better than any other course. But if it reassures you that there is no other problem present, then it could be perceived as a good thing.