Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My daughter got scabies and was not diagnosed for about two

My daughter got scabies and was not diagnosed for about two months, my husband caught it from her and I have it now as well. I don't have it bad but my husband does we have tried all the usual creams and changing clothes bedding etc. But we still don't seem to have cleared it, I'm not coping very well and am having panic attacks. We are due to travel to Australia to see our daughter in a week's time to see her new baby and feel we should cancel,
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. This may be Norwegian scabies and those can be very difficult to treat with topical creams and medications. I'd suggest you and your husband ask your doctor for a prescription for ivermectin--an oral medication that is very effective for all types of scabies
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is this medicine ok to take if my husband takes cordicor, xarelto and tambour if so how long would it take to treat

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
There should be no problem with any interactions between his medications and ivermectin and usually ivermectin takes effect within two days to eradicate scabies
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Should all the family be treated with this medication

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--that would be the best way to resolve this problem once and for all
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We are supposed to go to Australia in nine days , would we be still contagious as my daughter in australia is due a baby this weekend and would be concerned . Thanks very much for your help, keeping my fingers crossed that this will work

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
If you can get the ivermectin within the next two or three days there should be no problem at all since the scabies would be eradicated by then. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you