Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I was prescribed Anusol HC ointment 10 days ago.

Customer Question

I was prescribed Anusol HC ointment 10 days ago. The label stated use no longer than 7 days. Is it imperative to keep to this ? If so is it possible for me to order a replacement on line and continue treatment ? David XXX

Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Amita :

Dr.Amita :

It is imperative that you stick to the guideline regarding use of Anusol HC for one week only.

Dr.Amita :

Use for a period longer than 1 week can cause the medicine to loose it's effectiveness

Dr.Amita :

The phenomena is known as tachyphylaxis and tachyphylaxis should be prevented

Dr.Amita :

Moreover continued use can cause thinning of the mucous membrane or skin the area and therefore continuous use is not advisable

Dr.Amita :

You seem to be offline

Dr.Amita :

If you need to know anything else you can come back here and ask.I will be happy to answer.