Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

my wife is taking 200 mg of tramadol along with a bottle of

Customer Question

my wife is taking 200 mg of tramadol along with a bottle of white wine and also 150 mg of amitriptyline over a three hour period in the evening please advise
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 3 years ago.
Customer:

Customer:

I amCustomerand I would be glad to assist you today

Customer:

The combination of these two drugs and alcohol is dangerous

Customer:

Tramadol and amitriptyline when used together can induce seizures

Customer:

Use of these drugs along with alcohol can induce irregular heart beat, cause increased and extreme drowsiness , impaired thinking and judgement and respiratory depression among other effects

Customer:

Both tramadol and amitriptyline decrease seizure threshold and additive effect of both can induce seizures.Alcohol can cause decrease inmetabolism of amitriptyline and consequent increased levels of amitriptyline.This would further exaggerate the harmful interaction between these two drugs and alcohol.

Customer:

You should show all I have written to her so that she avoids taking all three together.

Customer:

You seem to be offline and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have when you come back online.