Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a bad smell coming from my nose I've had it for about

I have a bad smell coming from my nose I've had it for about three years. The smell can fill a room people talk about me like crazy. From hearing people I guess it smells like fesses or something. I've tried everything up nose I would go threw all kinds of pain with some things I've tried. I'm at the end of my rope. I can't handle this anymore. Sometime I have a yeasty taste in the back of my throat.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
What evaluation has been done for this so far?
Have you had any cultures done?
Have you had any evaluation to look for whether there is any yeast or fungal growth?
Has any imaging tests been done of the sinuses?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I've been to the ENT and they only found that I have allergies. I don't know if that could have sparked something. One problem is I travel for work and when I make appointments I can never keep following up with them.
In the list of interventions that have been tried, I do not see any treatments for allergies. What did the ENT recommend once allergies were diagnosed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I should take shots but I cant when im on the road.

Were any allergy medicines (pills, nasal sprays, etc.) prescribed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

None at all

Thank you for the additional information.

Since you have been diagnosed with allergies and are unable to take allergy shots, it would be appropriate to take medicines to treat allergies. The usual first line medicine is an oral antihistamine, such as loratidine or cetirizine. In someone with more severe allergies, it is common that additional medicines may be necessary, and the usual next medicine that is added is a nasal spray of steroid medicines, such as Nasacort or Flonase.

The other major issue in someone with a bad odour coming from their nose is whether there is an infection present. Allergies can lead to a secondary infection, particularly of the sinuses. The ENT physician would typically have looked for evidence of infection, and if the symptoms are unchanged since that evaluation, there would be less concern about infection. But if the symptoms are worse, either the odour or the yeasty taste, it would be appropriate to repeat the evaluation for such an infection. This evaluation would require an examination and may require cultures and an imaging study of the sinuses, usually a CT scan. You say that you have been tried on antibiotics, but a specific antibiotic regimen may be better identified with further evaluation, and you do not list any anti-fungal medicine for treatment of yeast or fungus.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.