Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

Is there a difference between a peripheral liver lesion and

Customer Question

Is there a difference between a peripheral liver lesion and exophytic liver lesion or are they both the same ?
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.
Peripheral liver lesion is the one which lies near the liver margin.
Exophytic liver lesion is the one where the lesion extends outside the liver margin but does not cross the membrane surrounding liver. In other words the lesion grows outside the liver instead of inside.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok well I'm very confussed as my dad had a pet scan . I have the report but am confussed

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Hina
Can you upload the report here? I can make it a bit simple for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Which icon is uploads?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how can I upload ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

New low attenuation 16mm exophytic segment 6 liver lesion does not show FDG uptake and has SUV max of up to 2.8.

this is compared to the background liver uptake with SUV Max up to 3.4.

there is however a 16mm focus of intense tracer uptake peripherally in seg 6 with SUV max if 5.2.

a co registered ct lesion is not seen .

appearances are suspicious for A peripheral seg 6 liver met. The exophytic seg 6 lesion seen on a previous ct is not

particularly FDG avid.

however as it's a new finding this should be regarded as suspicious for a met.

uptake in the mediastinal/ hilar nodes is more indeterminate. This could be metastasis or represent a sarcoid like reaction.

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Hina,
In the report low attennuation lesion {exophytic} indicates that it is likely cystic. No FDG uptake indicates that this is benign {non-cancerous}.
However another lesion with intense FDG uptake is worrisome {likely metastasis - cancer spread}.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If they say on report no fdg uptake on one of the lesion then why has the dr stated on report that suspicious for further mestases as a new finding ?
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Hina,
That is for the other lesion {with intense uptake} and not for the one with no FDG uptake.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok let me send the exact wording again as even though 1 lesion has
No uptake , they say it's suspicious for further mestases
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You replied
28 September 2014 10:49 EST
New low attenuation 16 mm exophytic lesion in seg 6 does not show FDG uptake . This is compared to the background liver uptake with SUV Max up
To 3.4.
There is however a 16 mm focus of intense tracer uptake peripherally in seg 6 with Max SUV of 5.2. A co registered ct lesion is not seen .
Appearances are suspicious for a peripheral seg 6 liver metastasis. The exophytic seg 6 lesion seen on previous ct is not particularly fdg Avid.however as this is a new finding this should therefore be regarded as suspicious for a further mestases .
Uptake in the mediastinal nodes is more indeterminate . This could
Be metastasis or represent a sarcoid like reaction .
I need the above explaining I'm
Confussed how
There are 2 lesions as the ct 2 weeks ago only showed 1 plus what does it mean that lesion not seen on co registered ct?
You have received an Answer!
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
FDG scan is showing two lesions. The lesion with high FDG uptake was not see on CT scan {this is meant by not co registered CT lesion}.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why would it not have been seen on ct ?
So are there 2 mestases ?
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
All lesions are not seen on CT scan. The one seen on CT is not metastasis. It is likely a cyst. The one not seen is more likely metastatic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So if no fdg uptake is can't be a met right ?
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Yes, no FDG uptake rules out metastasis.