Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My aunt who is 73 went into hospital to have her gallbladder

Customer Question

My aunt who is 73 went into hospital to have her gallbladder removed earlier today, I believe it was meant to be a laparoscopic procedure. If the procedure went as planned then she would have been due for release tomorrow. The surgery from what I can gather went well. However, although I can only get partial answers at the moment (I am not her nominated next of kin) I understand that the surgeons only removed 3/4 of her gallbladder and that they she now has a stent and my aunt will be in the hospital until Tuesday. Why would they only remove 3/4 of the gallbladder and why would they use a stent?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

the other 1/4 of the gall bladder could have been attached or suck to the liver possibly if there was a lot of scar tissue in the area.

Dr. David :

if she has had prior abdominal surgery or if there was an infection in the area, that can cause a lot of scar tissue.

Dr. David :

a stent could have been for a bile duct stent since the gall bladder stores bile and releases it into the common bile duct into the pancreas and into the small bowel.

Dr. David :

so a stent could have been placed to make sure the bile continues to flow properly.

Dr. David :

sounds like it was a tough surgery.

JACUSTOMER-8csgrasu- :

About 8 months ago they removed gallstones and I would have thought they'd have removed it then but they didn't. She ww jaundice

JACUSTOMER-8csgrasu- :

Less than 6 months ago she had her gallstones removed - I don't know why they didn't remove the gallbladder then.

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

it sounds like her gall bladder has been through quite a bit.

Dr. David :

I'm glad she has finally had it removed.

Dr. David :

I hope her bile stent doesn't get clogged up

Dr. David :

all those gall stones and prior stone removal procedures could have caused prior scar tissue as well.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

JACUSTOMER-8csgrasu- :

This was only determined because she had jaundice last time. The doctors attributed it to her pancreas and only then did they remove the gallstones. She had pancreatitis last time. When you have a stent fitted is it for life?

Dr. David :

usually for a bile duct stent, this is a permanent stent.

Dr. David :

in some rare cases it can be removed, but it can be very difficult to be removed.

JACUSTOMER-8csgrasu- :

So if this is for a bile duct stent this procedure does not need to be repeated? Does a bile duct stent ever have to be "unclogged" or replaced?

Dr. David :

it might need to be unclogged if the bile becomes too thick and clogs it up.

Dr. David :

she needs to try to drink as much fluids as she can to make sure her bile doesn't get too thick to clog up the stent.

JACUSTOMER-8csgrasu- :

And a healthy diet of course. What symptoms would be evident if the stent starts to clog?

Dr. David :

she could have jaundice again.

JACUSTOMER-8csgrasu- :

My aunt is incredibly active for her age, especially in the garden - will this impede her ability to stay active?

Dr. David :

hopefully not.

Dr. David :

hopefully she will recover well from the surgery and the stent will work fine and the problems of the gall bladder will have been gone.

JACUSTOMER-8csgrasu- :

My father had his gallbladder out years ago and was absolutely fine the next day, eating normally within a day or two. Could it be any other type of stent the doctors have put in place (sorry I just don't have any further details)?

Dr. David :

ask her doctors

Dr. David :

most likely it is a biliary duct stent.

Dr. David :

best of luck to you and her.

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

if done, please leave positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David :

we only receive credit for helping clients after positive feedback

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Dr. David :

is my website if you need to reach me again.

JACUSTOMER-8csgrasu- :

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

do you see the ratings

Dr. David :

?