Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am male, 67 years old and I am due to go into hospital for

I am male, 67 years old and I am due to go into hospital for treatment for varicose veins. I may be very anxious about the procedure but I am not overly aware of it. In the past my GP has suggested that I have counselling for anxiety when I have discussed various ailments with him.
My question, I am having a bad period of hot face, neck and shoulders (with some but not much sweating at night) coupled with the sensation of cold / shivery legs (although the flesh is warm to the touch). Is this likely to indicate a separate ailment or could it be due to a combination of stress / varicose veins.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--first can I ask if you've ever had anything like this before? Is this constant or if it comes and goes, how long does it last?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had a hot face etc from time to time and some sweating in (generally when the seasons change) over a number of years. The hot face doesn't bother me out in the fresh air but is very noticeable in the house.

I have never had the cold legs before but the seem to come and go with the varicose veins.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Jim. Do both your legs feel cold to you throughout and is this only a problem at night or all the time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. It can be in both legs but mainly in one. It is hardly noticeable when I am in bed and also seems to be improved by phisio on the calves. The "cold" legs I have had for a couple of months, the hot face a couple of weeks.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Jim. I think the cold feeling without there actually being coldness to the touch is from some sluggish blood flow in your legs from the varicose veins. I think the hot face, neck and shoulder is most likely just from worry, anxiety and stress. The leg problem should resolve with the varicosity treatment