Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

my daughter Zenna is 10 years old and has a lot of pain in

Customer Question

my daughter Zenna is 10 years old and has a lot of pain in her joints. At the moment she is suffering with pain in her right ankle and mild swelling and also right knee.She has suffered alot over a few years with a lot of different fractures which includes both her arms and also she had a very bad ankle for ages and she has been under the Nuffield orthopedic Hospital and they were not sure what it was and eventually were going to discharge her and i said please can she have a mri of that ankle. They went ahead and mri the ankle and it came up that it was fractured with also osteonecrosis of the joint. They had to get on and fix this and the poor child had been walking round on a broken ankle. She had fractured this joint at sometime and they didn't know whether this was a old or new fracture or when it had happened,but they presumed it was a old fracture that hadn't healed and i went along with this but since then she has had very poor teeth with two having to be pulled out, and she has always got holes in her teeth and has to be very careful how she eats and this week got pain in her neck ankle and knee. But this time its her other ankle and she describes the pain as coming and going but when it comes very intense pain. She has also had a history of fluid on her hips.
as mum i have a gut feeling she has something wrong with her bones and the hospital need to find out what the problem is. This week i have had to get my GP to re refer Zenna to the Nuffeild Hospital and i am awaiting the appointment.
She has been under the Nuffeild for quite some time now and its getting to the point where the poor kid is suffering and living off diclofenic and i dont feel she should be taking this without a diagnostic.
I would love to hear from you
Lorna
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am so sorry about your daughter.

Dr. David :

it sounds like her bones are joints are so brittle.

Dr. David :

she needs testing of her vitamin D levels ( to rest for rickets disease) and also to be checked for juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.

Dr. David :

if those are negative, she might need genetic testing to check for osteogenesis imperfecta, sometimes known as brittle bone disease, or Lobstein syndrome

Dr. David :

if she has to take the diclofenic for pain, make sure she takes it with food in her stomach and with plenty of fluids.

Dr. David :

never take it on an empty stomach.

Dr. David :

hello?

JACUSTOMER-5bv3w32x- :

Dr. David :

do you see my replies above?

Dr. David :

she needs testing of her vitamin D levels ( to rest for rickets disease) and also to be checked for juvenile rheumatoid arthritis

JACUSTOMER-5bv3w32x- :

yes thank you, ***** ***** have tested her for JRA with joint scnas and they say that she does not have this!, as her inflamtion markers are not high enough, aprt from when she had fluid on her hips.

JACUSTOMER-5bv3w32x- :

We would just like to get to the bottom of this, we have already spent alot of money privately and got no where! what would your recommendation be in regards ***** ***** to go for the best treatment?

Dr. David :

Nuffeild hospital is good

Dr. David :

Royal National Orthopeadic Hospital is the largest orthopaedic hospital in the UK and is regarded as a leader in the field of orthopaedics both in the UK and world-wide

Dr. David :

http://www.rnoh.nhs.uk/clinical-services/paediatric-adolescents

Dr. David :

they see children there as well.

Dr. David :

hello?

JACUSTOMER-5bv3w32x- :

Ok great, can we ask our GP to do simple blood test to pick this up or the NOC?

Dr. David :

vitamin D is a simple blood test.

Dr. David :

test for osteogenesis imperfecta is a special genetic test and will require consulting with a genetics counselor.

JACUSTOMER-5bv3w32x- :

ok, what about rickets disease?

Dr. David :

rickets is low vitamin D

Dr. David :

hello?

JACUSTOMER-5bv3w32x- :

they also say that she is hyper mobile

Dr. David :

she could have also a collagen vascular disease as well causing weakness of her collagen and ligaments and joints.

Dr. David :

the most common collagen vascular disease is ehlers danlos syndrome.

JACUSTOMER-5bv3w32x- :

MT, looks like we have a few avenues to go down, Her grandmother has ehlers danlos syndrome and the NOC are aware of this.

Dr. David :

wow.

Dr. David :

good luck to you and her.

Dr. David :

I hope she gets better

Dr. David :

let em know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done, please leave positive feedback below.

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

JACUSTOMER-5bv3w32x- :

MT, I think we have enough to go on

Dr. David :

thanks.

Dr. David :

don't forget to leave positive feedback below

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

JACUSTOMER-5bv3w32x- :

Thank you very much, yes very positive, a great help.

Dr. David :

do you see the ratings area below?

JACUSTOMER-5bv3w32x- :

Yes will submit now, have a good night!

Dr. David :

thanks.