Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Further to my recent question. I am trying to get to sleep

Customer Question

Further to my recent question. I am trying to get to sleep but my apparently burning face and neck is making it impossible. The face and neck don't feel over warm to the touch, I am in my normal room / bed etc. - 66 degrees Fahrenheit room temperature. My body temperature measured by a thermometer in the mouth is normal (36.4 degrees c). My legs feel warm. Would appreciate any ideas you may have.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
These symptoms can be neurological.
Sensory nerve dysfunction will cause abnormal perception of the sensation.
The hot and burning feeling are typical for nerve symptoms.
Various diseases can affect the nerve function.
Diabetes, thyroid disorder, vitamin B12 deficiency, Autoimmune disorder, Parkinson's Multiple sclerosis are some common examples.
Also herniated disc or arthritis of the spine can cause problem with nerves.
And you may feel these symptoms with nerve irritation.
You should see a neurologist for further evaluation.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
I am Dr Basu experienced in Neurological Diseases.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Since the previous question my GP has tested for all your suggestions - and more and found nothing of note other than a deficiency in Vitamin D, which he is treating with capsules. In addition, he suggests that I have poor circulation (noticeable by the colouration of my hands). My BP is normal, my cholesterol is low, I drink little and my diet is good but not excellent. I haven't smoked for the last 7 years. I walk every day of the year and cover approximately 2,000 each year.

My sleep pattern is as previously described. I would appreciate any additional advice.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
I notice that you have relisted the question.

Vitamin D deficiency can cause a variety of symptoms, but it is not common that it will cause the burning sensation that you describe. It certainly is appropriate to replenish the vitamin D, and if the symptoms improve, that would be evidence that it was the cause of the burning.

It is certainly true that poor circulation can affect nerve function and cause the burning sensation that you describe. In this situation, it may help to treat the circulation, such as with Pletal. It also may help to use a medicine that helps by suppressing the firing of the nerves that are carrying this message, such as gabapentin or pregabalin.

Another possibility to consider when the evaluation is largely negative is whether the symptoms are due to anxiety or stress. Anxiety can cause a wide variety of neurologic symptoms, including a burning sensation such as you describe. In this situation, it may help to use a medicine to help ease the anxiety, such as certain antidepressants.

I hope that my answer is helpful, as my goal is to provide excellent service and a complete answer. Please remember to provide a positive rating, so that I am credited for assisting you. If I can provide any assistance in the future, I can be reached through my profile page at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The strange thing about the "poor circulation" is that I can walk significant distances without any pain other than a warm sensation on the soles of my feet. When I am at rest, after the walk, there is a sensation of coldness in the feet but the flesh is warm to the touch.

There are several types of poor circulation. Arterial disease that affects the larger arteries will usually present with muscular pain with exertion. Arterial disease that is affecting smaller arteries may present with neurologic symptoms without muscular symptoms. It is also possible to have poor circulation problems that affects the veins, but this would usually not cause the burning pain that you describe. Of course, without being able to examine you or perform other evaluation, I cannot confirm or refute the possibility that there is poor circulation. However, I can say that poor circulation can cause a burning sensation such as you describe.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for this and for your patience. When I talk about burning sensations in bed, they result in sweating which wakes me up...... can be a cycle of two or three times. Would the burning sensations you describe produce the sweats.

I am sorry for the delay, but I had stepped away from the computer when I had not heard anything for a while.

Sweating can occur from any subjective sensation of burning. It is more common when there is a fever or true warmth present, but you say that there is no sensation of warmth on the skin. When looking at what can cause the sensation that you describe, sweating does not help to preclude or confirm any specific diagnoses.