Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Good morning, My name is***** I am currently

Customer Question

Good morning,
My name is*****
I am currently overseas in London, and have just recently had 5 epileptic fits on a 17 hour bus journey...
I have bitten my tongue really badly and can hardly speak...
I was wondering whether you could please help me.
Could yu please help me through this as it's very painful especially in my mouth were most of the damage has been caused..
Cuts, ulcers, bruises, chomping marks, dead skin and blood.
...
It happened on the 22nd of September and my tongue is still swollen and bruised... Also I keep waking up at night in so much pain almost crying,
I am hungry and can't eat, have been on diff lam, bonjela, nurofen express... But in so much pain still, dribbling like you wouldn't believe...
Could please help me doctor ASAP... I'm in a lot of pain.
Greer
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello Greer
I would be glad to help you, although it is unclear what help you are seeking.
What question do you have?
How can we be of assistance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me asap.
I am wondering how long it's going to take to heal...
Or what I can do to reduce the pain.
Were you seen by a doctor after the multiple seizures?
How deep is the worst cut in the tongue? Is it still oozing blood?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I didn't see a doctor, my partner was looking after me and took me straight home to sleep. I was exhausted... And no just deep holes in my tongue, a lot of pain and can hardly move... Every time I try and eat I have tears in my eyes it's very painful...
Thank you for the additional information.

It still may be necessary to be seen, as this may be needed to obtain a stronger pain medicine. However, there are some options for you to consider that you can try at home first.

You say that you have used iced water, but it would be better to try to hold crushed ice in the mouth for a longer period of time.Ice can help both by easing swelling related to injury and to create a numbing effect, thereby easing the pain. However, it usually requires a longer contact time to achieve these benefits, usually for 15-20 minutes. When applying ice to the outside of the body, it is easier to use a larger quantity of ice, but in the mouth, the ice will melt relatively quickly, so will need to be replenished to be effective.

After the mouth is numbed with the ice, it would be reasonable to rinse the mouth with a hydrogen peroxide mouth rinse.

As for an oral medicine, you have been using the over the counter medicines that are most likely to help, such as the anti-inflammatory medicines. These medicines may be more effective with the prolonged use of ice and hydrogen peroxide. But in someone with more severe tongue and mouth trauma, it frequently needs a stronger pain medicine, and this is why it may still be necessary to be seen by a doctor.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help... Do you know how long it's going to take to heal?? Or when about I'll be able to eat normally or talk...
It is difficult to predict the time to recovery without performing an examination. It can vary from several days to a couple weeks, depending upon the severity of the injury. Even the people in whom it takes a couple weeks to resolve, the worst part is usually a few days to a week or so.