Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I would like an second opinion on my blood readings. As I have

I would like an second opinion on my blood readings. As I have been sick on and off for a few years. Antinuclear antibody (ana) positive. ana titre 6400. ana pattern multiple nuclear dots. Smooth muscle antibody (sma) positive. sma antibodies weak. I Haven't had a drink since June. I'm also a very small drinker of alcohol. Would like to know what you think of these blood readings. I've seen to consultants this week. Urologist for blood in urine since April. Ent for sinuses. Went to New York in April and I have not been weel since I got home. I also have been tested for Lyme disease. Thank you. Helen
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What are your symptoms?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What are your liver enzymes like?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Customer: Very tired for months. Arms had rash., I got antihistamines , the itch went but rash not fully gone. That was in June. I think my skin is a bit sallow and I have not been in any sunshine as I was the summer in bed with severe kidney infection. Just don't feel right for months. My gp told me I had these blood reading 10 years ago and I attended a haematologist who did a few tests and bone marrow. Then told me I had a virus. She left her job ,a man took over my case and I never heard from him again!!! Where will I see on this blood reading what my liver enzymes are. My gp says my liver function is perfect. I had an ultrasound done. Results were nil
Dr. Shahzad MD :

The anti-nuclear antibody is strongly positive and the anti SMA antibody is also positive. Have you been to a rheumatologist as yet

Dr. Shahzad MD :

i would like that an autoimmune disorder like lupus (systemic lupus erythematosus) should be ruled out in your case.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If you have not had your thyroid function tests I would like to have your thyroid hormones checked as well.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You mentioned that you have been tired for many months, another thing that I would like to rule out is low cortisol (Addison's disease).

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Lastly, your age of makes you near menopause or you have had your menopause already. In either case your ovarian function would be very low at the moment and even that can cause all the symptoms that you have mentioned.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So after ruling out a rheumatological issue, I personally think that your issue is more related to hormones more than anything else.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Customer: Yes. Sorry. I'm actually over the menopause about 3 years. It was a sudden fast one. I did see a rheumatologist but that was about 6 years ago and nothing came out of that.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

So I would like to rule out all the hormonal causes that I mentioned above if you have not had those ruled out already.

Customer: I forgot to mention I have a tethered spinal cord and fibromyalgia
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Fibromyalgia can cause one to have fatigue like what you are having as well.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You need a doctor who is willing to spend time and rule out/rule in all these options.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would also like that you should have a vitamin D level done as well because quite often aches and pains in the body are due to low vitamin D

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you there?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Customer: Sorry. Yes I agree with you but it's hard to find a gp who is willing to give you time these. At least if I am armed with a few questions it might help. I just seem to sent to consultant after consultant with nothing showing up anywhere. And it's costing a lot of money . Thanks
Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest Regards