Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

are coughs contagious after a week. I have chronic asthma

are coughs contagious after a week.
I have chronic asthma and my friend bronchia.....
someone with a cough wants to visit
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

Whether a cough will still be contagious after a week would depend upon the cause of the cough. Of course, there are some causes of cough that are not infectious, such as allergies and COPD, and these coughs are not contagious. The issue of contagiousness would only be an issue for an infectious cause of a cough.

The vast majority of infectious coughs, including bronchitis, would no longer be contagious after a week. So if your friend is certain that it is a bronchitis, then it would typically no longer be contagious at this point. However, there are certain infections that can still be contagious, such as a pneumonia that has not yet been treated or certain chronic infections, such as tuberculosis. These infections are less common, but if your friend is not certain that it is a bronchitis, there is a possibility that it could be an infection that would be more likely to be contagious after a week.

So, if your friend is certain that it is bronchitis, then it would typically no longer be contagious, and it would be OK for contact with that friend. If the diagnosis is uncertain, then there would be a possibility that the could be a contagious risk.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.