Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

So I'm 28 years of age and back April tested for thyroid and

So I'm 28 years of age and back April tested for thyroid and came back borderline my doctor dismissed it and fobbed me off despite having multiple symptoms. I have since gone back with more symptoms and started taking eltroxin 25mcg on wed just gone - I've heard it's quite a low dosage by people with same issue - I also have gained 3kg since starting the tablet on Wednesday - I work as a personal trainer and fitness class instructor so I spend 15+ hours a week working out and I eat extremely well! Is this normal? I know weight gain from thyroid issue is but gaining 3kg in such a short space of time, since April keeping my same workout regime and diet I've gained almost 11kg ­čśę­čśó
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Do you have the results of the thyroid profile?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just got my third round of bloods done today all I know is the last set came back as borderline but that was in April.
I ask about the thyroid profile because there is some controversy about the appropriate normal range, which also would affect the interpretation of the lab result.

Gaining 3 kg since Wednesday is typically related to fluid accumulation, rather than a gain in body mass, per se. It is virtually impossible to gain 3 kg of true body mass in less than a week. The long term weight gain since April is the type of weight gain that is seen with thyroid disease.

Fluid accumulation is not a common side effect from low doses of Eltroxin, but it is sometimes seen. As the body becomes accustomed to the drug, the fluid accumulation will typically resolve.

If I can provide some further information, please let me know.