Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

Why is my urine smelly

Customer Question

Why is my urine smelly
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Customer:

I amCustomerand I would be assiting you today

Customer:

assisting

Customer:

Please join the chat

Customer:

Since how long have you been having smelly urine

Customer:

Do you have had any other tests

Customer:

Please correct.Do you have any other symptoms

Customer:

Have you had any tests for this

JACUSTOMER-uv14ryza- : For a few months now
JACUSTOMER-uv14ryza- : no
Customer:

Urine smell can occur due to urinary tract infection.In most people urinary tract infection is accompanied by other symptoms like burning sensation on passing urine or pain or increased frequency of urination but in some this infection can be asymptomatic .

JACUSTOMER-uv14ryza- : no. No. No. No
Customer:

Other possible cause is use of certain foods like asparagus

Customer:

Regular use of high protein diet can also cause the urine to smell as that may cause incraesed amount of ammonia to be secreted through our urine

Customer:

Certain drugs especially some antibiotics can also cause the urine to smell

Customer:

You should increase the amount of water you drink as this will dilute the urine and cause it to smell less and also is good for treating urinary tract infection if present

Customer:

You do need to get your urine tested to rule out infection

JACUSTOMER-uv14ryza- : What should I do
Customer:

You need to get your urine tested to rule out any infection.If an infection is present you may require antibiotics to treat it.

Customer:

In addition drink lots of water as that will help clear up any infection and also dilute urine so that it becomes less smelly.

Customer:

Cut down on protein in diet if you take lots of protein

Customer:

Red meats have a high protein content.Same for eggs and cheese

Customer:

You may also add daily intake of cranberry juice as that helps in urinary tract infection

JACUSTOMER-uv14ryza- : I took a course of antibiotics 2 weeks ago made no difference
Customer:

Did you have a urine test before that

JACUSTOMER-uv14ryza- : No
Customer:

Antibiotics can fail when the bacteria causing the infection is not killed by the particular antibiotic you may have used.Therefore it is imperative that we get a urine culture and sensitivity test to establish that an infection is present and to know the bacteria causing infection and to know what particular antibiotics are expected to kill the bacteria causing the infection.Without knowing the causative organism it is like shooting in the dark.It may hit the adversary but a high chance that it may not

JACUSTOMER-uv14ryza- : I will phone for a nurse to come as I'm in a wheel chair and don't go out. Thank you
Customer:

Thanks and best of luck

Customer:

It has been a pleasure assisting you