Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

What if a liver lesion has no fdg uptake ?what does this m

Customer Question

What if a liver lesion has no fdg uptake ?what does this mean
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Fluoro Deoxyglucose is a dye injected during a PET scan

Dr. K. :

If the lesion has no uptake it means there is a low risk of malignancy

Dr. K. :

The liver,as a whole, has a low uptake of fdg. It sounds like you have a benign lesion, which are common, and you dont have to worry.

JACUSTOMER-22pj9brw- : How can I upload a report ?
Dr. K. :

Take a photo and post it or copy and paste

JACUSTOMER-22pj9brw- : New low attenuation 16 mm exophytic lesion in seg 6 does not show FDG uptake . This is compared to the background liver uptake with SUV Max upTo 3.4.There is however a 16 mm focus of intense tracer uptake peripherally in seg 6 with Max SUV of 5.2. A co registered ct lesion is not seen .Appearances are suspicious for a peripheral seg 6 liver metastasis. The exophytic seg 6 lesion seen on previous ct is not particularly fdg Avid.however as this is a new finding this should therefore be regarded as suspicious for a further mestases .Uptake in the mediastinal nodes is more indeterminate . This couldBe metastasis or represent a sarcoid like reaction .I need the above explaining I'mConfussed howThere are 2 lesions as the ct 2 weeks ago only showed 1 plus what does it mean that lesion not seen on co registered ct?
Dr. K. :

Theres a new lesion that has no fdg uptake It may be an early metastasis or may be benign. There is most likely a single liver metastasis. A coregistered ct lesion just means its not seen on Ct scan.

JACUSTOMER-22pj9brw- : Do can early mestases have no fdg uptake ? But the dr had stated that suspicious for future mestases?
JACUSTOMER-22pj9brw- : What about the lymph nodes. ?
Dr. K. :

Its unlikely that a metastasis has no uptake. The Dr is also considering the clinical picture. This may be a met that is early and shows no uptake or it may be benign. Theres no way to know. The uptake pattern in the chest lymph nodes is less clear. the Dr is stating it could be a met or it could be an inflammatory reaction. Theres often no way to get a 100 percent answer. All they can give is a best clinical opinion. I am sorry

JACUSTOMER-22pj9brw- : It is 16mm
JACUSTOMER-22pj9brw- : the lesion Is 16 mm n the mestatic one is alsi
JACUSTOMER-22pj9brw- : 16 mm so it can't be very early as it would be very tiny right ?
JACUSTOMER-22pj9brw- : Even a early met wud have uptake right?
Dr. K. :

No not necessarily. As the radiologist stated, it is suspicious for an early met. There must be something he or she is seeing to make it look suspicious for metastasis.

JACUSTOMER-22pj9brw- : Is it good that this has been caught early then ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is microwave ablation a good way to get rid of the met?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
It is one choice of many. It can be used for larger tumors and also for multiple tumors so its good in that respect.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But what if
The tumor is not large or multiple and only single of 1.6 cm, what is best. ?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
It is still a fine choice. I am going to sign off now. I have done my best to help you. Please consider a positive rating. Thank you.