Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

I messaged here before as for 4 months I've had excessive phlegm

I messaged here before as for 4 months I've had excessive phlegm and a feeling of something in my throat. I can eat fine. I still have the phlegm, I can feel a lymph node either side of my neck. Dr says I have swollen tonsils but not major. I had antibiotics as at one point my chest was crackling slightly. That crackle has gone. I have now noticed under my chin in swollen. I get the occasional pain in my ear and bottom jaw. I am scared beyond belief. I have an ENT appointment on 6th oct but I can't worry for that long. I noticed the swollen chin about 2 weeks ago. It itches at times and do does my throat on outside. I am scared.
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Dr. Charogat :

I'm sorry to hear all you are going through :(

Dr. Charogat :

What your doctors are saying does sound very reasonable.

Dr. Charogat :

Have you been running any fevers lately?

Customer: Hi. No fever.
Dr. Charogat :

It sounds like you may have some low grade infection that is causing your symptoms. By that I mean it can even be a virus that is just taking its time working its way out of your system.

Customer: I was just worried as the antibiotics didn't clear anything. I guess they don't clear viruses?
Dr. Charogat :

There is also the possibility that the lymph nodes you are feeling are somewhat scarred. This is NOT anything to worry about. When a lymph node gets enlarged, sometimes there is some scarring that occurs inside of the node and that will make the node feel larger - possibly life long. The important thing, if this is the case, then the important thing will be for you to know what your nodes feel like.

Dr. Charogat :

Antibiotics won't clear viruses.

Dr. Charogat :

What I mean by your knowing is that once you get better (hopefully very soon) then, if you get sick again you will recognize if you have swollen nodes, or if this is just your new normal.

Customer: Some years I do suffer with hayfever but not this year. I have had the occasional dripping nose and clear liquid sniffles from my nose. I'm mainly concerned as I read excess mucas can mean there's a tumour somewhat and my chin is swollen. I also have one tonsil bigger than the other but I'm sure sure how long it's been that way.
Dr. Charogat :

Thick mucus really isn't indicative of a tumor. That is something you can clear your worry about.

Dr. Charogat :

If you have a low grade infection it can affect all your local lymph nodes, and glands, so what you are telling me at this point doesn't seem very concerning.

Customer: I guess generally the chin swelling has got me worried about cancer. And the lumpy feeling into throat. The lymph nodes I can feel in my neck are pea sized. My dr said if he had to look for them they are fine. It's the chin really. I was flat now significantly swollen.
Dr. Charogat :

As you've recently been sick I am not worried about the tonsils

Customer: My nan died of phuenomia when I started getting the phlegm. I didn't get a crackle in my chest or a cough for weeks and weeks after. Then the lumpy throat now the chin. It started purely as lots of yellow/greenish phlegm.
Dr. Charogat :

I can understand your fear. It sounds like you are breathing comfortably so I am not concerned about pneumonia. Also, older people tend to have more trouble when they get pneumonia than younger.

Customer: I read that one tonsil bigger than the other can also mean cancer. I don't look in my throat often but I would guess one was bigger a year ago. I really don't want an operation to take it out unless absolutely necessary. I suffer with anxiety and OCD and I'm convinced I'm going to die. I've been suffering so much mentally by worrying.
Dr. Charogat :

Worrying about it certainly makes it scarier and you start seeing things that aren't there etc. I completely understand, and have "been there" myself.

Dr. Charogat :

As you were recently sick I don't think it is a problem.

Customer: With all the 'symptoms' and stress....does it sound like an infection that's lingering? It's been since June. I don't understand why my chin would suddenly swell. I keep touch it not sure sure if I feel a lump
Dr. Charogat :

Sounds like a viral infection hanging around that is exacerbated by low levels of allergy.

Customer: I do also sometimes get acid and most times I can hear a fizzy noise at the top back of my mouth/throat
Dr. Charogat :

I think the swelling in your chin is also related to a low grade infection.

Customer: Do assemytrical tonsils mean cancer? Will ENT be able to tell if it's dangerous without removing it?
Dr. Charogat :

They can mean that - but there are other signs along with it. The ENT will likely be able to tell without removing it. In the worst case scenario if he isn't sure he MIGHT want to do a biopsy in the office. This is quite unlikely as the tonsils can bleed a lot. But a good ENT will know either way.

Dr. Charogat :

There is also a certain amount of asymmetry in the body that is normal. For example, many people have two different size feet - usually by about 1/2 an American size. Many people have different sized breasts, where one can be a cup size bigger than the other. So while symmetry is definitely something we look for when examining a patient, we also take into account that normal variant.

Customer: I've heard having them removed as an adult isn't nice. I'm also obese and scared of being put out.
Dr. Charogat :

It isn't. I don't think that based on what you've told me that you will need them removed.

Customer: Ok thanks. They look hugely different to me....one barely there and one walnut size. Yet a nurse said they aren't that different?!
Dr. Charogat :

Putting an obese patient under anesthesia does carry extra risk, but it is done very often. Still, I don't think that you will need them removed.

Dr. Charogat :

The time that we contemplate removing tonsils is if someone is getting many infections in their tonsils, or if the tonsils are so large that they are blocking the airway and not letting the person breath.

Customer: I read on google from people who had tonsil cancer that the only way to know for sure is having it out and tested. And that they had pushed for that to be done when Drs were happy to leave them in. This scares me slot.
Dr. Charogat :

I wish there was some way for me to help you relax. The ENT visit is a good idea - though I don't think a necessary one for what you are describing in your chin/throat etc. The main reason I think it is a good idea is because an ENT specializes in this area, and s/he can give an opinion that will hopefully help you relax until you are fully better.

Dr. Charogat :

I learned a long time ago that "Dr. Google" has many many scary things to write. I've learned that when I have a problem with myself, a friend has a problem, or my child has a problem, I stay AWAY from google. It is only good to cause more worry, panic and concern.

Dr. Charogat :

You can (and should) bring up this fear when you see the ENT.

Customer: I had a miscarriage last November and this is where my health anxiety started as I'd never been in hospital before. I'm ruining my life by being so scared. I know I need to calm down but I struggle so much with 'what ifs' :(
Dr. Charogat :

Because the tonsils bleed so much, if a doctor feels a biopsy is necessary, sometimes s/he will just remove them.

Dr. Charogat :

That makes it so hard :(

Dr. Charogat :

Have you spoken to a psychologist or psychiatrist about this? Problems like this only get worse - so the sooner you have someone who can get you back on the "solid ground" you were on before your miscarriage (ie reasonable amount of concern that your body is running correctly) the better it will be.

Customer: If the dr says it doesn't look cancerous, am I good to go with that? Is it a pretty definite answer? I'm scared because I don't want an operation I will want him to say they're fine...but if he/she was only 99.9% sure I still would worry
Dr. Charogat :

I definitely think you should trust the doctor if/when they say it is fine. There is no way anyone can give you a guarantee, but the doctor can give their best personal opinion.

Dr. Charogat :

If a doctor gave a 100% guarantee I would NOT trust him/her.

Customer: I've had lots of therapy and CBT. Nothing has helped. The only meds that worked made me gain weight which I can't afford to do as already 292lbs
Dr. Charogat :

Have the meds you've tried been for anxiety disorder?

Customer: But he should pretty much know from my history and looking at the tonsil that it is ok or not? As much as I'm scared of leaving it, I'm scared of ops too.
Customer: Yes, and various for depression. My ones for OCD were mirtazpine
Dr. Charogat :

I understand. Yes, s/he should know from looking at it, and if s/he has any question about it then s/he will discuss what the next step will be. I've fairly certain that the doctor will find that it is not a scary issue that is going on. I understand the fear of either way. I once found a lump in myself and the wait to find out about it was horrendous. Waiting for the appointments etc..... (Thank G-d it was all okay at the end - but this gives me a better understanding of what you are going through)

Customer: Thank you. I wish I didn't have to love like this. I also found a breast lump in January. The dr agreed it needed a scan and all was ok. I do have health anxiety but most symptoms are physically there when I worry. Before this throat thing I had head pains in one area and felt my eyes were about to shut off....I tried putting it down to stress but I still worry it's related to this. I have a squint in one eye and spend all day at a computer so maybe it's just that. Opticians didn't seem concerned. I guess things just snowball out of control in my head until I can't function. I was also staying off medication so I can try to conceive again when I lose weight. But maybe that's not a good idea either since the hospital told me I lost it because I was too fat. In so many words. I have lost 19lbs since my miscarriage but still obese, I just want to be healthy? Happy and a mother
Dr. Charogat :

I hope G-d blesses you with all of that very soon.

Dr. Charogat :

Going off the medication isn't a good thing to do. I read a study that when a parent is depressed during pregnancy it affects the child's future chance for depression. My guess is that this would apply to all mental disorders.

Dr. Charogat :

As far as losing weight - congratulations on what you have done so far. Do you have any 12 step programs near you? There are some wonderful ones that really are very supportive, and I know people who have lost (and kept off) over 100 lbs by doing the 12 steps. (I see that it says you are in the UK, I don't know if they have "greysheet" or "CEAhow" but those are two that I know that are wonderful.

Customer: Apparently my meds aren't safe in pregnancy.
Dr. Charogat :

There are some that are - so your doctor needs to work with you to figure out which meds are safe during pregnancy, and make sure those are meds that will work for you.

Customer: I'm not sure, I am near London, England. I know I can lose more if I wasn't scared I was dying all day every day. I just hope I can get peace of mind after ENT x
Dr. Charogat :

I hope so too!

Customer: My neck is itchy now and I swear I feel lumps n bumps. I'm a nightmare
Dr. Charogat :

One of the many nice things about the 12 step programs (now, THAT would be something good to google :) ) is that most of the people there do emotional eating - which it sounds like is exactly what you do.

Customer: But none of this sounds serious to you right now? Physically?
Dr. Charogat :

Nope - physically it does not.

Dr. Charogat :

Emotionally it sounds like it is making a wreck out of you :(

Customer: I will take a look.
Customer: It is. I have hyper responsibility OCD too and still suffering with my Nan's death. Like I didn't do enough when she was in a awful nursing home. Guilt kills me.
Dr. Charogat :

You sound like you can use a lot of big hugs right now :/

Customer: We were paying an extra agency to pop in and make sure she was drinking as we didn't trust the care home. In the end my dad couldn't afford to carry on paying them so they stopped. I didn't have enough money at the time but I should have found it. I keep thinking what if those extra drinks she was missing meant she didn't get sick :( or even, what if the extra drinks made her sick. There's a reason to blame myself for everything, either way. And I'm not even sure it's irrational.
Dr. Charogat :

I agree with you that it is not rational.

Dr. Charogat :

I think you need a good doctor to work all of this out with you so that you can get onto a better track. Obsessing over everything makes for a very confining/confined life. If you keep thinking back to would've/should've/could've you only hurt yourself :( I wish there was a way I can help better than just telling you this -- I hope you will try to find a doctor who can talk to you face to face and actually help you put things in their proper place.

Customer: I'm trying to believe that when it's time, it's time. She was 86. I also didn't realise she was supposed to be having her drinks thickened as there was stuff occasionally in her room for it. I thought they were stupid making more mucas in her throat with shake style drinks....then when she died I realised it may have avoided the pnumonia. But they were rubbish in that home. Barely spoke English and I did ask what it was for once but obviously I couldn't have understood because I loved her more than life....and if I thought something should have been done I would have done it. Yet I still doubt and hate myself. I'm sure they abused and neglected her and that's why I arranged that agency and pushed my dad to get her moved. But it didn't happen. I blame myself that she suffered
Dr. Charogat :

I'm sure she is in a happier and more comfortable place now. Looking down at you and wanting you to know how much she appreciated everything you were able to do for her).

Dr. Charogat :

(BTW - I have to get off the computer in about 11 minutes - but will be back either later today or tomorrow morning).

Customer: Sorry I know if taken a lot of your time :( I do really appreciate it.
Dr. Charogat :

I'm happy to be of any help I can. I just don't want to suddenly cut you off when I have to run.

Dr. Charogat :

I became a doctor to help people. (Unfortunately becoming a doctor means that I have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of debt, so I need to charge for my services - but the real reason I went into medicine is to help whomever I can.

Customer: I didn't intentionally want bad for her. I know deep down I did my best. Just things pop in my head like if I wasn't so stupid she would still be here....or that I did know I should have thickened her drinks but I didn't. It's horrible. But maybe nothing would have saved her. That home fed and watered her all day every day. If the dr gave that powder to be used it was their duty to use it. And to make sure visitors used it, right?
Dr. Charogat :

I had someone come to this site a long time ago. Nobody had taken her question because she offered so little money to have it answered. To make a long story short I had to send her to the emergency room, a week later she messaged me from the hospital saying she had just gotten out of the ICU and the doctors told her that if she had waited any longer her 3 young children would be orphans now.
Although she paid very very little (most likely the lowest I've ever been paid on this site) she is the one I am happiest about - because I really DID GOOD.

Customer: I know. I'm just sorry a simple medical question turned into all my mental worries.
Dr. Charogat :

I agree 100%. If there was an appropriate restriction of food for her (ie no thin liquids) then it is 100% the home's responsibility to make sure that that was all she got.

Dr. Charogat :

You may have come with a simple medical question, but you are a whole human being. I like people -- not just lymph nodes and glands :)

Customer: Trouble is I knew they weren't looking after her, but I pushed my dad to sort it and he is next of Kin. I couldn't do more than push. I loved her so much.
Dr. Charogat :

It's hard to let go of people you love, but ultimately it is what happens to all of us :(

Customer: Does it sound like I did my best?
Dr. Charogat :

YES!

Customer: I'm very lucky I got you today. I can tell that you care about more than just the physical problems I have been worried about. Sometime I feel so alone with my head. I'm actually crying now because I feel some relief. Thank you so much for your time and patience. I just want to be happy. I have everything in life I need, husband, house, job...but I am so unhappy still.
Dr. Charogat :

No problem at all as far as the helping goes. You can come back to chat with me whenever you want (and I am online). For the next few weeks my schedule will be hectic and there will be a few days in a row that I am offline, but after that I'll be on except for Friday and Saturday.

Dr. Charogat :

I hope you can give me good news about yourself in the very near future.

Customer: I will. Pray for me that I can get past this ENT stuff with little or no action needed. I know I'll replace it with another worry....but one step at a time x
Dr. Charogat :

Absolutely!

Dr. Charogat :

G-d Bless!!!

Dr. Charogat :

I have to leave the computer now. I really hope and pray that everything goes well for you. Physically AND mentally.

Customer: Thank you. God bless you too.