Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Good morning, I wonder if you can help me decide whether

Good morning,
I wonder if you can help me decide whether I should visit my doctor or not. About half an hour ago, I got out of bed and had almost reached the bathroom when my legs felt awful, the strength went and I sank to the floor. After sitting there for five minutes or so, I was able to get back up and return to lie on the bed. I remained still for another ten minutes and all felt well so I got up again. Exactly the same thing has happened. The 'feeling' in my legs can only be described as ... have you ever 'sat' on your leg and when you get up, it is at first tingly then, as the feeling starts to return, it feels horrid (not a pain but a nasty sensation)? That is how my legs felt on both occasions.
I am now sitting down again and, although this feeling has subsided to a large extent, it's still there in my calves.
Hence my question ... is this just something simple or should I visit my GP?
Many thanks,
Marianne
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-
Do you have numbness type sensation in legs?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Do you suffer from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?
Pain in legs?
Shortness of breath or chest pain?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning,

Yes I suppose you could call the feeling a sort of numbness.

As for medical condition, I have had two pulmonary embolisms - consequently I am on Warfarin permanently.

As for emotional issues or anxiety - I suppose, yes, although I am quite laid back and don't get 'het up' about things. My mother died a couple of months ago and my husband has gone into a nursing home and is not good.

Pains in legs: I have had an occasional pain in my left calf but nothing untoward. I walk quite a lot and there is no problem with that.

No chest pain nor shortness of breath normally but, at this moment, I feel 'generally' a little weak.

I hope this helps.

Marianne

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
Sorry to hear about your mother's death and about health issue with your husband.
I can understand your concern.
These symptoms could be due to neuropathy or other nerve diseases.
It can occur due to diabetes ,thyroid disorders, vitamin deficiency,
low calcium or electrolyte abnormalities.
This may also occur due to pinched nerve in spine, and may be affected by posture in sleep. Pressure on the spinal nerves, or pressure on Peripheral nerves can cause such condition, especially after waking up in morning.
You will be requiring few tests for exact diagnosis. These are-
-Complete blood count
-Electrolyte level
-Thyroid function tests
-Measurement of vitamin levels
-Blood sugar tests.
Also Electromyography test and MRI of spine may be considered.
You should take plenty of vegetables, fruits, water and electrolyte solutions. Also you should take vitamin B complex supplements.
I advise you to see your GP and discuss this issue.
Good luck and take.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.