Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Dear Dr., chloroquine has been reported has being effective

Dear Dr.,
chloroquine has been reported has being effective in the treatment of lupus and rheumatiod atrhritis: might it also have benefits for colitis which seems resistant to more conventional treatments?
Brian Hay
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, chloroquine might be of benefit in treatment of ulcerative colitis. There have been some small studies that indicate that there is an improvement in some people (see www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8633581). There has not yet been large scale studies done, so it is not considered one of the primary drugs to be considered. But yes, it would be an option if other medicines have been tried and found to be ineffective.

It is worth noting that the effect of chloroquine on lupus and rheumatoid arthritis is from the effect on the immune system, and there are several other immune suppressant drugs that have been used for colitis, such as azathoprine, cyclosporine, and tacrolimus.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.