Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Hello. I am suffering from nerve root irritation, and I have

Hello. I am suffering from nerve root irritation, and I have re-aggravated my problem. My symptoms got worse 24 hours after the aggravating activity (4 minutes of hula hooping), but now it is 60 hours after and they show no signs of calming down. What is the normal length of time between the aggravating activity and the peak of the symptoms?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

What symptoms are you experiencing with the nerve irritation?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond.

Customer:

Muscle spasms, centering around the mid-back and stomach, but going up to the neck and down to the lower back and legs. Also jittery feelings, tightness when breathing (presumably due to tight mid-back). Had trouble sleeping last night, as pains were moving around my body, and no position was comfortable. Spasms make me feel shaky.

Dr Uzair :

And no other symptoms?

Dr Uzair :

Fever, night sweats, loss of appetite?

Customer:

No, none of that. I am reasonably sure that my pains are activity related.

Customer:

Had thoracic problems before, but misdiagnosed as neck issues. Things got bad 10 weeks ago after I pulled a muscle around t9 when performing a back rotation to stretch and then lay on foam roller each day for a week. But was told my symptk

Customer:

But was told my symptoms came from the neck, now I no longer think that.

Dr Uzair :

Yes, they seem to be. These seem to be more of generalized muscle cramps rather than nerve irritations, since the later present with tingling, numbness, sharp pains and are usually localized to a particular area of the body rather than being generalized.

Dr Uzair :

Nerve irritations usually peak around 48 to 72 hours after the inciting event when the nerves are swollen or when edema (swelling) of the nerves is at its peak.

Dr Uzair :

Muscle cramps can take about a week to 10 days to resolve completely.

Dr Uzair :

I would suggest that you start on an NSAID like tylenol two tablets thrice a day or if the pain is intense, then Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice a day, massage with ibuprofen liquigel thrice a day on the most affected areas. Perform gentle stretching exercises and drink lots of water since dehydration aggravates muscle cramps.

Customer:

Thanks; so it probably shouldn't get much worse from here.

Dr Uzair :

It can only get worse if you push your body more, if you give your body the rest it requires whilst performing light stretching exercises, it should get better.

Customer:

I'd been getting much better until the hula hooping, but the consequence of that 4 minutes of activity was extreme and scary. I've been doing exercise in the gym without any bad consequences (except now I'm wondering if using a stationary bike was also aggravating me to some extent). Do you think this means that my problem is centred in the thoracic spine?

Dr Uzair :

It could be, but if that were the case, you would have pain on that area even without major aggravating events. So, I think this is more of muscle cramps due to fatigue and abrupt stretching during the hula hooping.

Customer:

I don't feel any fatigue at all, though. And using the bike wasn't abrupt stretching, but looking back I think that was aggravating too, though nothing like as much as the hula hooping (cross trainer seems to have been fine). Another symptom I've had throughout (i.e., for the past 10 weeks) is that pulling in my stomach causes my chest to tighten up. Initially, pressure on my stomach would also cause that symptom. All in all, the more I think about it, everything seems to be stemming from that area.

Dr Uzair :

Okay, I suggest that the next time you visit your Doctor, you should mention this concern to him and ask for an x ray of the thoracic spine in 2 views to see if there is a problem there.

Customer:

Or an MRI? Many thanks for all your help. That's been useful.