Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

hypertension : what is causing same &rapid pulse @ night in

hypertension : what is causing same &rapid pulse @ night in particular ? 69yrs
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
How high is the blood pressure and the pulse?
How long has this been bothering you?
Have you had any evaluation to this point?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

highest is up to 180 /90 more often 150/80 .3to 4months.not to my knowledge ,on no prescribed meds

How high is the rapid pulse?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

74usually 64 now BP173/85 pulse62

do you need more info? I am not an expert on computer

Thank you for the additional information.

A pulse of 74 is within the normal range. None of these pulse values are rapid, as the normal range for pulse is 60 - 100. The only issue with these numbers are the blood pressure, and the only value of the blood pressure that is elevated is the upper numbers, also called the systolic blood pressure.

When trying to identify the cause of an elevated blood pressure, the vast majority of people have high blood pressure as the primary problem, also called essential hypertension. And when the systolic blood pressure is elevated as the sole elevation, it is frequently also associated with chronic vascular disease, also called atherosclerosis (or the layman's term, hardening of the arteries).

There are a small percentage of people with high blood pressure that have the elevated blood pressure due to other medical conditions, such as kidney dysfunction, vascular disease affecting the arteries to the kidneys, excessive adrenal hormones, thyroid disease, or sleep apnea.

Regardless of the cause of the blood pressure, lifestyle factors also can influence the blood pressure, such as obesity, smoking, a sedentary lifestyle, and eating a poor diet, particularly eating large amounts of salt. From your description of your diet, it sounds generally very healthy, as long as you are not overly salting the food.

When hypertension is first diagnosed, it is appropriate to consider lifestyle modification, if appropriate to the individual's situation. However, if the blood pressure remains elevated despite healthy lifestyle habits, it would be appropriate to perform an evaluation to assure that none of the above diseases that could be causing the elevated blood pressure is present. If one of these conditions are present, then they should be directly treated, and the blood pressure will usually improve as the condition is treated. If no such condition is present, then it would be appropriate to start a medicine to help get the blood pressure under control.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry I did not intend to rate service bad ,same was done in error . I was happy with your service ,and I rate your service as v. good. Olive.

PS I am not great on the computer.

If you tried to provide a postiive rating, it did not come through. You can try to rate it again after this post, but if it still does not come through, I may need to ask customer service to provide assistance.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.