DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I seem to be one of millions who want to stop taking Lexapro,

I seem to be one of millions who want to stop taking Lexapro, I have run out of script for the last 5 days and am considering going cold turkey. I do not feel depressed but every time I stop taking it, I seem to go downhill and don't know if it has to do with withdrawal or my depression taking over again. My Dr says that 10mgs is very low and to continue but I feel he is fobbing me off. I have tried taking half a tab over a few months etc but eventually go back up to 10mgs, I feel it is a crutch. At the moment I am dizzy, feel like Vertigo and spaced but otherwise not depressed. Any advice, I would like to take back control of my feelings and moods
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
We can not replace your doctor...and you have to go off under supervision.
The symptoms you are having can be from stopping abruptly.....
I am not sure what your exact question is, so be sure to clarify if needed.
In fact in many cases cognitive behavioral therapy is as effective as medications.
Depression is a medical illness, and you won't know if this is taking over until you have had several months of therapy after stopping lexapro.
Of course, such a plan must be monitored by your doctor.
A PhD clinical psychologist should be consulted for therapy.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your reply is a vague as my GP,

I was put on this medication three years ago when my mum died and when I asked the gp about withdrawal he gave me the same vague reply. I know I am suffering withdrawal symptoms but can get the script this afternoon, I want to know if these symptoms will stop eventually, if there is a practical supplement that will help me get over this time, Really I find your reply too vague and I realise that I am not sitting in front of you but you could do better than that. If I wanted you to sit on the fence I would not have spent 42 euro, and have gone to my gp for much of the same - so less fear of giving me the facts and let me know if there is an alternative that I can help myself. I am sick of the drug and want to help myself

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I told you twice in my response that your question was not clear and that I would give you this initial answer only, and needed follow up for you....that is required in the q and a format.
Yet, you rated me bad service before responding.
Was that deliberate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
What further questions?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Please see my offer as to self help.
It was also posted earlier.
The answer above is correct.
Will need much more back and forth to give you further accurate information [as a double board certified clinical doctor.]
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I see you have relisted the question for another expert to help

I am sorry you are having vertigo and dizzy symptoms.

for any specific patient, it can be impossible know know if their symptoms are due to withdraw from an SSRI agent like lexapro or if they are due to other causes such as depression or excessive anxiety disorder.

I am glad you are not feeling depressed at this point.

if before your mum died, you had no depression and no anxiety and no psychological issues, then you might not need the lexapro 3 years later now.

but we don't have your full medical history online here

and we don't know you as well as your GP doctor knows you.

your GP doctor seems to think that you would benefit from continuing to take the lexapro.

and you seem to be disagreeing with your own doctor.

and you seem to be asking online doctors to see if there are ways you can go against your own GP doctor.

some people take over the counter herbals like St. John's wart for mild depressive symptoms, but it is not proven to work for all patients.

can you tell me if you have had symptoms of excessive anixety or depression prior to your mum's passing 3 years ago?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I have a different answer for you.
Most people can successfully get off anti depressants.
However, this requires alternative treatment for the depression.
This are
Cognitive behavioral therapy and other therapies.
Correct nutritional replacement.
Correct hormonal management as indicated by correct lab measurement.
You need a different type of doctor in otherwords....it is not strictly self help. But, it can be done.
You can even change to an atypical anti depressant which might later be easier to get off.
See my offer for further details.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Again, clinical reply

no help to me

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
So, how is this not a help do you?
I still don't have a specific question from you as to what it is you want to know exactly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Check Dr David for more humane reply - thanks but no thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I have read that reply, which also was a serious of questions.
I am really not sure what you are asking us.
I have given a lot of information, and have even gone into areas that most doctors will not tell you.
But, so far, you have only asked for general advice...there has been plenty of that as well
a. Taper off the med, under supervision.
b. Find a better doctor if needed.
c. Get therapy to replace the med.
d. Use adjunctive therapies which I have not gone into yet.
e. See if this works.
f. If not possibly replace the lexapro with a different medication that will be easier to with drawal from, since long term of lexapro changes receptor function, and that can take up to 6 months to re-regulate.
So
Given that
what other questions are there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

None !

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

OK

So

I don't know what else to give you in terms of advice unless you are interested in integrative therapies and natural treatments of depression, which I am also board certified in? Do you have that interest?

Or, would you like me to opt out of the thread.

This will alert all experts on line that the question still needs to be answered.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

thanks for saying my reply was humane.

I am still here if you would like to continue

I am still here willing to help you